bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Makeup: To Toss or Not to Toss?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So you’ve had that stick of concealer for God knows how long, that powder is still rocking it, and that tube of mascara is celebrating its birthday tomorrow (still going strong). That’s great, right?

Wrong. Very, very wrong.

I’m the first one to cling to that ancient, all-in-one Sephora palette I’ve had since the sixth grade, or using that eyeliner until it quite literally shrivels up. Why buy more when the products you have now are doing their job? If you love your face, you should know your makeup expiry dates.

Primer, Foundation and Concealer
On average, give your primer and foundation a year before you chuck it. If your foundation is powder, you can give it an extra year or so, since it isn’t subject to the same separation that liquid foundation experiences. If your primer or foundation starts to smell differently, change colour or produce a new oily film you haven’t seen before, it’s time for them to go.

Using a primer or foundation past its expiry date is unhealthy for your skin in the short- and long-term.

Blush, Powder, Highlight and Eyeshadows
Powder products in this department can last two to three years; however, this shelf life doesn’t reflect how well they continue to perform. If your powder blush or highlight loses its pigment-power and takes longer to show up on your skin, it might be time for a different one. Any powder that develops a film overtop should be tossed immediately. Cream products have a shorter shelf life due to their consistency.

Mascara and Eyeliner
Everyone has heard horror stories of crazy eye infections from expired mascara and has been told that mascara should be used up to three months max until being tossed. However, mascara can actually be used for up to half a year before it needs to go. If your mascara starts to smell strange, feels strange on your eyelashes or starts to dry up, it’s best to invest in a new one. Liquid eyeliners follows approximately the same rules, whereas pencil liners and brow pencils last for about a year.

Lipstick and Lip Gloss
Lipstick is a little different for everyone, but generally it is good anywhere from one to three years. Three years may seem like a stretch, but keeping a lipstick safe from destruction or potentially losing it in your travels is easier said than done. Lip gloss, due to its consistency, lasts around a year to a year and a half. Since the applicator goes from your lips back into a sealed tube of product over and over again, it’s best to switch out lip glosses with their appropriate expiry date.

Makeup expiry dates are a great thing to keep track of to keep your makeup routine clean and healthy. Although there often is conflicting advice on when to chuck your products, choosing one that bests suits your routine and makeup habits, as well as keeping an eye out for any scent or consistency changes, is usually a girl’s best bet. A great thing to look out for with any new product is the period-after-opening symbol (or PAO for short) printed on the packaging or box. The little open-lid jar shows a number underneath, informing you how long the product will generally be useful for after opening.

Sources: Cover1, 2, 3

SaveSave

Alena is a third year student at the University of Ottawa studying International Studies and Modern Languages.
Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.