This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So you met this awesome guy or girl over the summer. You both showed interest, you got to talking and well, the rest is history. Now that summer is coming to an end, you’re not sure if you want to say goodbye just yet. Believe it or not, summer flings can last for more than a season! As long as you’re both willing to put the effort in, the relationship can work out.

Yes or No?

Before picking out your couple name, ask yourself: “Is this what I really want?” Are you both going to commit to this relationship? If your partner doesn’t have a straight answer, maybe you shouldn’t push it. You don’t want to end up hurt. But, if you are both willing to take a chance, go for it! After all, it’s nice to have someone around who cares about you.

Just remember, this did start off as just a summer fling; so anything can happen. It may not last for more than a month after school starts… or it could! It’s up to the two of you. If you’re not going to give yourself fully to this relationship, it’s not going to work! That means staying faithful and thinking about the other person’s feelings. Don’t forget to give yourselves both some time just to get back into the routine of school. If you rush into your relationship, it may not run as smoothly.

At the Same School:

If you’re both attending the same school, keeping up your summer fling won’t be too difficult. Incorporate both of your interests into your dates! You can take turns doing different things that you both like. For example, if you force your partner into watching the new One Direction movie; you’ll have to make it up to them and watch a movie they want to see.

There are so many events on campus (free events), that you can attend. It would be a shame not to take advantage of them! Bring your school spirit to homecoming! It’s fun and the energy of all your fellow classmates is amazing. You and your summer fling can enjoy each other’s company when the game gets boring. Not into all the loud noise? Have a study date! Exams and tests take place more than once a year.

At Different Schools:

If you and your summer fling attend different schools, you’re going to have to work a little harder for your relationship to work. It’s not going to be a smooth road all the time, but it’ll be worth it! Luckily for you, we live in an age where everything and everyone is tech-savy. Use social networking sites to reconnect! Have weekly Skype dates to catch up. There are so many different networking sites and applications, there is nothing stopping you form keeping each other updated!

Take turns visiting each other throughout your school breaks, or meet halfway! Just because you’re at different schools doesn’t mean you’re prohibited from seeing each other throughout the year. Save some money for transportation. There are always promotions for students on travel sites, if you check regularly you’ll be able to book your ticket for a good price!

Keep each other posted on what’s going on no matter the distance. And remember to not act clingy, nobody likes that. Don’t let the start of school end your summer fling. There is something about that person that makes you want to continue this, don’t throw it away! If you both make the effort and are willing to put the work in, your summer fling can turn into a long-term thing!

Photo Credits:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GzFzms5LGiM/TdhMcbr7r4I/AAAAAAAABj4/tqRLF7Wm6_Y/s400/Summer1.jpg

http://images.ourontario.ca/Partners/WLU/002372464.jpg

http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/99-problems-e1334262989997.jpeg