This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

“Blood: It’s in you to give”. This is a phrase that you may have heard during the commercial breaks for your favourite show. But have you ever given blood donation much thought? Have you ever considered giving blood? This article will explain why blood donation is a vital part of the medical world and how simple it can be for you to donate.

What is blood donation? 

Blood donation is the voluntary action of donating (usually) a pint of blood, which will later be separated into its components: red blood cells, plasma and platelets. When you donate, the medical professional taking the donation will ask you some questions about your health history, and will check your pulse, blood pressure, temperature and hemoglobin levels. Then an area on your arm will be sanitized, a needle will be inserted, and your blood will be drawn into the blood bag. The actual donation of blood takes about 10 minutes, but most people are usually there from 30 minutes to an hour. The first time you donate, it may take up to an hour and a half because you must sign consent forms and assure your blood is safe. After the donation, you can have something to eat or drink, sit down for fifteen minutes, and then go about your day.  The process can be a little uncomfortable, but can play a vital role in helping another person who is in desperate need of blood.

How to prepare for the donation

Before you donate, make sure to get a good night’s sleep. It is also important to avoid fatty foods before you donate, as the fats can impact the results of the infection test of your blood. Also, be sure to be hydrated and drink lots of water. Also mentally prepare yourself to give blood: some of us get a little squeamish when thinking about blood!

Who is eligible to donate blood?

Anyone over the age of 17 can donate blood in Canada. However, Canadian Blood Services has particular blood requirements which must be met in order for someone to be a donor. Until you are over 23 years old, you must be a certain height and weight to donate. For example, if you are 5 foot 3 inches, you must weigh at least 124 pounds. If you are over 23 and in good health, you’re good to go. However, Blood Services also has some wacky rules for donation. Gay men cannot donate blood, as well as those who have lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996. Also, you cannot have had a tattoo within six months of the donation date or be taking certain drugs.

But what about iron?

Iron is essential to having a healthy body, and healthy blood. Iron helps build red blood cells, supports cell functions and carries oxygen from your lungs to every cell. Many women have low iron due to our time of the month, amongst other reasons. Iron comes primarily from meats, in addition to other protein sources like beans and tofu. However, your body breaks down iron a lot easier when it comes from meat compared to other sources. If you are a vegetarian (like yours truly), you may not be getting enough iron. If you want to donate, it may be an idea to take some iron supplements and go to your doctor and ask to test your iron levels. Other than that, start eating some steaks and get ready to donate.

How frequently can you donate blood?

For common blood donation, you can donate every 56 days. For more specific blood donation such as platelets and plasma you can donate more frequently.

Types of Blood

Your blood type is determined by your parents’ blood type. All types of blood are needed for donation. However, O blood is the universal donor, and AB is the universal recipient. So if you know your blood type, especially if it’s O, donate as soon as you can! In fact O blood is the most common type of blood!

The importance of blood donation

Blood donations are very important acts that can help countless people recover from their illnesses. The American Red Cross’ blood donation phrase is “The need is constant. The gratification is instant. Give blood.” Millions of people need blood every year, and people give for many reasons. It’s a small step to take for help people in need. Plus afterwards (after getting over your wooziness), you’ll feel great for helping!

Sources

Mayo Clinic, Blood.ca, Red Cross Blood

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1

young hip fierce