Style

How to Dress for Spring with Ottawa Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Anyone from Ottawa will tell you that the weather in this city is unpredictable to say the least. It’s only in Ottawa that you get a snow storm on a Monday and the plus 17 degrees the same weekend. That can make it really hard to not just dress for the weather, but look good at the same time. That’s why we’ve created some special tips for anyone who struggles with ups and downs of this capital city’s weather, and is ready for some spring style! Check them out below.

Layers are your best friend

This might be an obvious one for some, but layers are the key to dressing up your outfit, and throwing a cardigan on or off if you have to. You can sport a short sleeve for the surprise glimpse of heat, and layer on a think (or most likely thick) cardigan or blazer for the cooler weather in the morning.

Tis’ the season for jeans

Jeans are a classic for a reason – you can never go wrong! If you want to up your style game, go for some ripped boyfriend jeans with fishnet tights under. If you have more of a casual style, then your classic blue jeans work perfect in cold or warm weather. Wearing jeans also compliment whatever footwear you sport that day, so feel free to pull out anything from your fall boots to spring sneakers, it all works these lifesavers!

Tights and stockings

Any Ottawan will tell you that the start of Spring can look a lot like the start of Fall too. That’s a plus for reusing pieces you already own in your wardrobe. Tights and stockings can work perfect with a skirt, or even shorts if you want your outfit to lean towards a more street style look.

Scarves

Even though you might have to ditch those big and cozy winter scarves, the Spring season has just as promising styles too. The spring time is perfect for layering on those thinner scarves and pashminas with any outfit you decide to wear. This also makes it easier to layer your clothes and pull of the scarf if it gets too warm.

Leather jackets

If you’re a lover of leather jackets (who isn’t?), then this your season! Spring is the perfect time to pull out your classic black, beige or whatever colour leather jacket to top off your outfit. Leather jackets are one of those timeless fashion pieces that are perfect for weather that switches around from day to night, so you can wear them on a chilly night out and during the warmer spring weather throughout the day.

Booties

These are the perfect shoe choices for Spring weather. Stick to the classic short booties to keep your legs cool throughout the warmer temperatures, and warm enough with cozy socks under for the colder evenings and nights. Booties are also perfect to match with tights, jeans, a skirt or shorts on a night out.

Off-shoulder tops

Rocking an off-shoulder top will play up your Spring style no doubt. Not only has this style made a huge come-back but it’s perfect for keeping warm or cooling off your shoulders between the cold and warmer weather. There are tons of cute styles to choose from, and all of them will leaving you feeling perfectly in touch with the weather.

Even though we’re not surprised we got another year of unpredictable weather, at least you’ve got some handy tips in your pocket to prepare you this year-round!

Raghdah is the Editor of the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter. Raghdah is a graduate of the University of Ottawa where she studied Political Science and now continues her work in the Government of Canada. Outside of her career, she spends most of her time writing, travelling, practising yoga, and running. If being a foodie, coffee-addict, aspiring cat lady, and binge-watching Scandal count as hobbies, then she's living the life. You will most likely find her planning her next trip or trying to adopt another cat at your local pet shelter.