This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

No one likes to study. I repeat no one. Okay, certain people may enjoy that task, but there aren’t a lot of people out there who actually do. We don’t like studying because we feel we could be doing something more productive instead like…shopping, watching Netflix or hanging out with our friends. Indeed, all these things listed above aren’t really considered being productive, especially if we are students. However, being a student doesn’t mean that our lives revolve around school. We have other aspects in our lives that are important to us such as family, friends, our significant other, work, volunteering, traveling, extracurricular activities and the list goes on. How do we keep up with everything especially at this horrible time of the year? Here are some tips to be more productive while studying:

1-    Make a To-do List

We’ve been hearing this trick for so many years now that we tend to forget it.  We have so many things going on that it’s good to put your thoughts on paper. Write everything that you need to do; it can me school related or any other tasks such as doing the laundry, or finalizing your Christmas shopping (you can’t only study). Just put everything on paper and it will be easier to take the next step, which is…

2-    Make a schedule

We all say that we need to make a schedule to make sure that everything is organized and planned. We’re always planning social events with our significant other, friends, family member or classmate and we always make sure that our plans come through, why not do the same thing when it comes to your studying? If you say you’re going to study at a certain time, you should stick to it. In the schedule write everything that you mentioned in your to-do list. Don’t forget to include your work schedule (if applicable) and other activities that you can’t get out of. Most importantly, don’t forget to include breaks (i.e 10 minute of Facebook, snack time, dinner time).

3-    Get Organized

You made a study schedule which is great, but you need one more important thing before being able to be productive. You need to find your work space and organize it. If you know you will not be leaving your house for a few days, well you should probably buy some food. Also, you should buy all the extra school supply you may need. Go buy an extra pack of pens, white-out and highlighters. While you’re at it, clean you house, if you know you will not be doing anything else. How can you concentrate if you’re surrounding isn’t clean? Just make sure you have everything in order so you won’t be distracted when you’re working.

Once you’ve done these three steps, it will be so much easier to be productive because you have set a plan to be able to reach your ultimate goals: acing your exams. Don’t forget to sleep as much as you can, but also enjoy some time off to just relax.

Hope these tips were helpful and good success on your exams!

Pictures credits:

Cover Picture1234

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.