This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Halloween is looming, but you already know that. The invasion of Halloween treats in stores everywhere usually hits well before the holiday. For most of us, the scariest part of Halloween is not ghouls and ghosts but the lavish displays of Halloween candy at practically every turn. There’s no way to sugar-coat this struggle, the empty calories and other chemical additives found in these sweets are inherently not so great for you. Whether or not you’ve treated your sweet-tooth yet, you’re probably wondering how much one of these tiny fun-size candy treats sets you back. Either way, you can forget running on a hamster wheel to burn off the extra calories and enjoy working out while watching one of your favourite Halloween movies…Hocus Pocus! After all, what better way to get in the spirit with a fun and festive workout that requires only ONE piece of equipment, a fall staple that you already have at home: a pumpkin!

How it works

It’s simple, just follow the steps below! Each time that one of the events listed in this article happens in the movie, you have to do the corresponding workout. 

When the Sanderson sisters get offended

30 Second Football Run

• Hold on tightly to that pumpkin and get ready to run like hell (in place, of course) for the next 30 seconds!

When Binx mentions Emily

10 Sit-Ups

• The extra weight of the pumpkin adds a fun new twist to this classic ab move!

When someone mentions the Sanderson Sister legend

10 Seated Russian Twists

• This move is so intense you’ll be happy you have a pumpkin to distract you from the pain.   Definitely worth it, though! Just make sure to keep your spine straight!

When Thora cries

15 Second Plank

• This is the perfect move for targeting most of your core muscles all at once! For proper form, make sure to keep your core engaged by squeezing those ab muscles! 

When you hear the word “virgin”

12 Goblet Squats

• This deep squat along with the added weight of the pumpkin will help you feel the burn. Make sure to keep your feet just outside of shoulder width and keep most of your weight on your heels!

When Binx is sarcastic

10 Side Lunges

• This compound exercise is the perfect addition to any leg day! For proper form, keep your head up and make sure your left knee does not extend past your toes.

When Billy loses a body part

10 Repetitions of Twisting Lunges

• This challenging exercise will definitely get your stabilizer muscles going! Just make sure to keep your back straight, this is especially important due to the added weight of the pumpkin.

When the book opens its eye

10 Pumpkin Swings

• This is probably the most satisfying move of the routine. Just don’t swing too hard, or your pumpkin might go flying!

Sources: 1, 2

23 / coffee aficionado / local plant and fashion enthusiast / food before dudes / currently completing a bachelor's degree in Lettres françaises et éducation ❤️