This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re so over the over-hyped, commercialized, nauseatingly pink version of Valentine’s Day that mega corporations are trying to sell you, I promise you that you are not alone. While I’m a huge believer in telling people you love them and going the extra mile to show your love, Valentine’s Day can be kind of overwhelming and shallow. Maybe you don’t have a significant other and aren’t looking forward to spending February 14th on your couch showing off your Adele lip syncing skills to your cat while everyone else fills your social media with adorable couple pics.

Skip the Valentine’s blues and consider celebrating a much better holiday instead on February 13th. I’m talking about Galentines Day. Created by the hilarious political icon that is Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation (played by Amy Poehler), Galentines day is a day to celebrate all of the ladies you love but don’t always have the time to appreciate fully. Galentines Day doesn’t have to cost you a fortune or take up all of your free time. Arrange brunch at your house for your favourite women. Send your mom, grandma or other role models a card in the mail. Take 10 seconds to hug your best friend or take 1 second and send a “Hey, I love you” text to someone important to you.

I’ve celebrated Galentines Day for the past four years now. This unofficial day of gal power and female solidarity is a great time to reflect on how truly blessed I am to have some of the most amazing women in my life who constantly love, support and encourage me.  In a patriarchal world that constantly pits women against one another, it is actually sort of revolutionary for women to devote a full 24 hours to high-fiving, hugging, and appreciating each other. Celebrate Galentines Day proudly, but also don’t feel like you can only love one another 1/365 days of the year. Why not spread the love all of the time?

Source:
Parks and Recreation Wikia

Picture Credits:
Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.