jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Going Solo on Valentine’s Day in Ottawa for Under $50

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Being single on February 14th can be depressing, especially if all your friends have dates. However, I like to see it as an opportunity to try new things, meet new people, or just pamper myself. I’ve found that too many young women are desperate to be in a relationship these days and Valentine’s Day only amplifies this. The truth is, a SO isn’t going to fulfill you in the way that you want them too – you’re the only one who can do that. Although, I can definitely relate to the sadness and jealousy that may be felt when Instagram is overflowing with pictures of red roses and chocolates in heart-shaped boxes. But don’t fret, I’m here to give you six fun ways to spend the day so you’re not left obsessing over how single you are.

1. Do a Salt Therapy Session

Okay, so you might be a little salty from the fact that you have no Valentine, but wash away those negative feelings with a calming session at Salt Wave in Westboro. Not only is it relaxing, but salt therapy has been scientifically proven to help improve acne, eczema, allergies, and more. Best part is, this experience will only set you back $23 on Groupon for a 60-minute session.

2. Get Your Nails Did

There’s nothing like the feeling you get when you walk out of the salon with your nails freshly done. Grab some friends (or not) and go get a cute manicure at Diverse Salon and Spa in Centretown for a mere $15 via Groupon. Even better, they have a bar so you can grab a glass of rosé while you’re at it!

3. Go Skiing and Make Friends

The Ottawa Social group on Meetup.com is having their weekly ski night on Valentine’s Day and it’s the perfect excuse to get out and meet new people. The night pass at Edelweiss is only $30.59 and who knows maybe you’ll get some bomb Instagram pics out of it.

4. Do Some Floatation Therapy

Similar to the salt therapy yet different, completely disconnect from all your problems with a 60-minute float session at the Tank Action Float Centre on Carling Ave. For only $43 on Groupon, you can float around in a sensory deprivation tank and forget about the cute boy who didn’t ask you out.

5. Learn to Pole Dance

Show them what they’re missing by learning your way around a pole at the Cherry Blossom Aerial Dance Studio on St. Laurent Blvd. Right now on Groupon you and a friend can take unlimited classes at the studio for two-weeks for only $25. With sessions that promise to improve your strength, self-esteem, and sense of rhythm, you’re soon going to forget that Valentine’s Day is even a thing.

6. Go to the Batting Cages

Get out some of your frustration and hit up Dingerz Batting Cages & Pitching Center just off the Airport Pkwy. $28 on Groupon gets you an unlimited day pass where you can practice your batting skills and have a blast with your friends or by yourself. You’ll be channelling some serious “I’m a bad bitch you can’t kill me” vibes.

If all else fails, just grab some cheap wine from the LCBO, order takeout from your favourite place, throw on some Friends, do a little online shopping, and have a cute Valentine’s date with yourself. Remember what really matters is that you’re content with yourself, you don’t need no man!

Images: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9