Flu Season: 8 Reasons to Consider Getting the Vaccine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

They say life is a great balancing act. With the good things in life like PSLs and Peppermint Mochas, blanket scarves and cute beanies, candles and quilts, cuddling and Christmas music on repeat (I can’t be the only one?), we must also take with it the bad: flu season.

Or must we?

Ugh, I shiver at the thought of being bed ridden for a week. Cold sweats, hot flashes, nausea, headaches, extreme fatigue, on top of the cold symptoms that are already inevitable… these are just not the things I need during exams or Christmas break or vacation or like, ever.

The mysterious little virus hides anywhere and everywhere, making pretty much everyone susceptible to the winter epidemic. 

Thankfully, there are things we can (and probably should) do to prevent any of the above from happening! One of them is to go out and get the influenza vaccine.

I have a feeling I just lost half of you to the word “vaccine”, but for those of you still reading, listen up. I’ve curated a list of reasons why you should get the flu shot, and at the end of it, you can then make your own decision as to whether or not it seems worth it.

1. It’s free (read: publicly funded) for anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Ontario.

2. The flu kills an average of 3500 Canadians each year.

3. Flu viruses mutate and change constantly.

4. The World Health Organization comes out with a new flu vaccine each year to ensure the right strands of the virus are being targeted in the upcoming season.

5. The flu shot tends to be around 50-60% effective, meaning there’s a better chance you won’t catch the virus if vaccinated.

6. Roughly only a third of the eligible population (i.e. anyone over 6 months old) gets the vaccine.

7. The acute, minor pinch of a needle could protect you from a week’s worth (or more!) of flu symptoms.

8. Clinics are set up everywhere around the city, including some on campus!

Furthermore, there don’t seem to be any real risks of getting the vaccination. That isn’t to say there aren’t any, but none that have been proven or affect our health.

Since it is flu season, make sure to a) sneeze/cough into your arm, not your hand; b) try not to touch your face when sick; c) stay home when sick; d) keep your hands and workspaces clean; and lastly e) avoid contact with other people who are sick!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

A Communications student at the University of Ottawa, I'm an avid writer, blogger, and have taken up a new hobby of making travel videos! I've visited 24 countries to date, am a big sister to 5 munchkins, tolerate long Canadian winters by hitting the slopes, and am a terrible cook. You'll find me around campus playing volleyball intramurals, studying in the library, or having coffee with one of my fellow Alpha Phi's!