This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Feminists have sex. There I said it. Behind all their “man hating and unshaven bodies” lies someone who believes that women truly deserve to be equal. Crazy huh? And if men can have sex then so can we. Yes, we feminists have sex. We can have relationships with men, women and anything in between. We can have sex with our significant others, someone we met on Tinder and no matter who it is or how often it is; it’s none of your business.

So have you ever heard that if a key can open lots of locks it’s the master key, but if a lock can be opened by a lot of keys it’s a shitty lock? That saying actually makes me want to throw up on meninists and “good guys” everywhere.

Sex and especially casual sex is something that is becoming a culture. But why are women still shamed for partaking in it?

I talked to some fellow feminists about their views on casual sex. This is what one of them had to say. “Feminism is about choice and not judging women for the choices they make… our society tends to shame women for their sexuality and in general we live in a very sex-negative way which is just institutionalized patriarchy.” And really I don’t think that concept could have been put in a more straightforward way.

They all seemed to agree on that point, it’s each woman’s decision to make for herself. It’s not our place to judge or to have an opinion. So basically someone else’s sex life is none of your business. But for some reason people still think it is. Next time someone is doing something that bothers you ask yourself these questions:

1. Is it illegal?

2. Is it hurting anyone?

If the answer to these is no then it’s none of your business. If the answer to either is yes you should call the police.

We live in a very sex negative society while sex positivity is what we need to strive for. This is not just the notion that ladies and men can have all the sex they want, but also the notion that they can refrain from all the sex they want. Even then sex positivity is so much more than that. It involves body image, self-respect, self-love, loving others, and basically living in a world where sex and all the things that go along with it aren’t shied away from.

So moral of the story? You do you, don’t judge others for doing them. Two consenting adults is all it takes to have sex. Your commentary on how terrible casual sex is? Not required. 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1

Hello and Welcome to my profile! I am a second year Psychology student at uOttawa as well as a first year writer for the HCuOttawa chapter.