This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With winter fast approaching, it is time to prepare for the dry skin that comes with it. There are many different types of exfoliators that you can buy, but why would you buy an exfoliating scrub when you could make one in your own kitchen? Check out my diy body scrub that will not only beautify your body, but also help you save a ton of money!

Honey and Brown Sugar Body Scrub

What you’ll need:

2 Cups of Brown Sugar

½ Cup of Olive Oil

¼ Cup Honey  

This is a very simple scrub, but the three ingredients all play important parts in helping your skin say moisturized and fresh. A benefit of using brown sugar is that is contains glycolic acid that helps to fight against bacteria. Brown sugar is also a humectant, which means that it will lock moisture into your skin and protect it from becoming dry.

Olive oil is used in a lot of scrubs that are made at home because, like brown sugar, it helps retain skin moisture. Also, because of the antioxidants in olive oil (hydroxytyrosol and vitamin E), it keeps your skin looking young, fresh and revitalized.

The last ingredient in this scrub is honey, which serves three purposes. First, because honey is an antibacterial, it helps with acne (which is why a lot of people use honey face masks). Second, just like olive oil, honey slows down ageing due to the antioxidants; and third, honey is moisturizing and helps soothe our skin and create a natural glow.

After using this homemade scrub, your skin is guaranteed to look more radiant and moisturized. Instead of spending money on a store bought scrub, you can make one with ingredients in your own kitchen! This will render better results considering everything is organic and natural. 

If you happen to try this out, collegiates, let us know! We love to hear how our reccomendations work out for you so don’t forget to tweet us and tag us in your pictures on Instagram. Have a great day, beauties xoxo

Credits: 1 2 3

My name is Jaclyn Friedlich. I am 19 years old, and currently finishing up my first year in communications at uOttawa! I have been living in Ottawa for the last 15 years and I am so happy to have stayed here for university as well!