Campus Cutie: Lisheng Chen ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Lisheng Chen

Age: 20

Program: Psychology

Year of Graduation: 2016

Single or taken?: Single

What is your idea of a dream date?

Something spontaneous, out of the ordinary, and something that I wouldn’t expect.

Have you ever had any bad dates?

Yes, this one time at a sushi restuarant- we hadn’t seen each other for awhile, we were previously friends, and things got awkward because we didn’t have anything to say to each other since she was closed-minded and I had to put in all the effort to make conversation. Eventually I got through to her.

What do you look for in a significant other?

Mainly her personality, smile and sense of humor.

Describe yourself in three words:

Funny, nice and a team player

What are your hobbies?

I like to write, take naps, and eat. I’m pretty much a sloth.

Are you originally from Ottawa?

No, I was born in China and then at age 4 I immigrated to Quebec. I lived in Quebec for 5 years and then I moved to Toronto.

Whats your favorite thing about your hometown?

Everything. I lived in downtown Toronto so everything is accessible and I can do anything that I want.

Why did you choose to come to Ottawa?

I ask myself the same question everyday! For the past two years I’ve hated Ottawa but this year it’s growing on me. I’m starting to appreciate Ottawa from the little things it has to offer, like the Rideau Canal and Winterlude. 

What’s your favorite thing about Ottawa?

The winter. It’s different from the weather in Toronto.

What was your best experience in university so far?

Pledging for Sigma Chi. Sigma Chi really makes you feel included and they are the siblings that I’ve never had. The brothers treat me like one of them even though I’m still pledging. I also like how the Greek community supports each other. For example, we had the Greek Olympics where Fraternities and Sororities came together to compete and to raise money for charity.

Name the top three places in the world you would like to visit and why?

Dubai, Paris, and Germany. I’ve never been to any of these places and I always like to try new things. I would like to get to know more about their cultures as well.

What is your dream? Put aside the expectation of finishing university, getting a job, getting married, etc. If you could do anything at this moment with your life, what would it be?

I really want to be a real estate agent because I’m passionate about it. During my free time I look at online houses (like the Remax website) and go to open houses.

If someone gave you $1million dollars what would you do with it?

I’d spend it. Firstly, I would probably pay the mortgage on my parents house. Then with the rest of the money I would buy myself a car, rent an apartment or condo, and then I’d invest the rest of my money, most likely in property.

Do you have a celebrity crush?

Mila Kunis.

What are your current top 5 most listened to songs?

Maad City by Kendrick Lamar, Under-pressure by Logic, Freak’s and Geeks by Childish Gambino, Money trees by Kendrick Lamar, and Studio By School Boy Q.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully married and with children (I’ve yet to decide how many), as a real estate agent, making stacks.

Is there anything you want to do which you haven’t been able to yet?

I really want to go to Disney World! Also, probably parachuting just to get over my fear of heights.  

Who inspires you? Or where do you get inspiration from?:

There’s a real estate agent I am inspired by. She’s pretty young and gives me the hope that it’s possible to be successful starting at a young age. Also, she was able to maintain her job while pregnant, which is very impressive to me. I think that she’s really friendly and that she’s not doing this job because of the money, but because she generally wants to make people happy and that’s really important to me.

Who is your role model?

My parents because they have guided me throughout my whole life and they have always been there for me. They’re the best role models I could ask for.  

A lover for music, volunteering, traveling and meeting new people. I strive to learn new things and gain new experiences. Shoe addict, optimistic, outgoing, life is a masquerade ball! ~Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever -Gandhi~