Campus Celebrity: Virginia Gaffney of The Canadian Blood Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The 102 Ad Collective‘s latest client is The Canadian Blood Services! We were lucky enough to chat with Virginia Gaffney, National Manager, Advertising and Creative Strategy, who gave us some more detail on what her job entails. Collegiettes- if any of you are looking to break into the Advertising or Marketing fields, this is a great read!

1.     What is your role within The Canadian Blood Services (CBS) and how long have you worked for them?

My current role is the National Manager, Advertising and Creative Strategy. I have been with the blood system for 26 years (from high school through university and college) and worked in Public Education, Communications, Fundraising, and Marketing. My role includes donor-facing brand and creative platform strategy, advertising creative development, asset creative and development, digital (mobile app, microsites, and online registration), and implementation and evaluation.

2.    Can you tell us what a typical “day in the office” is like?

Insanity! There is actually no such thing as a typical day in marketing (other than working a 12 hour day). We are fortunate enough to work on a wide variety of projects, initiatives, and strategies. Personally, I am able to not only plan with our agency and buy advertising, but also create advertising assets (so getting to do graphic design, content strategies, project management, develop campaigns, and productive videos).

3.    How long does it take your team to plan a campaign? For example, how long were you planning the Wrap It Up Red campaign before it launched?

We do our annual plan with placeholders for campaigns 6 months before a fiscal year starts and the basic tactics and targets of a campaign are planned at least 6 months out from the launch. The theme of the Wrap it Up Red campaign was created by third year Advertising students at Algonquin College as we have worked on a yearly assignment project with them for the past 10 years. We take the theme and develop creative that will fit our target audience and work with all of our channels.

4.    Why did you want to get involved in working in the marketing, advertising, and communications fields?

I don’t know that I really planned to get into this field specifically… one thing lead to another and because I had a Bio/Psych degree, healthcare and knowing what makes people tick made sense. I’ve stayed in the field because it’s fast-paced, constantly changing, I’m always learning, I get to be creative, and use research and math skills. There is a great sense of accomplishment working in a field where you are tasked with changing people’s minds and convincing them to do something and they actually do it.

5.    What are some tips you would tell students who are hoping to break into this field in the future?

Practical skills are just as important as theoretical knowledge and numbers will serve you well. Personally, I believe that you have to play in the spaces you want to sell in so being active in social media, listening to the radio, watching ads on TV… it’s all research! And there are so many volunteering opportunities where you can further your marketing or advertising skills- you name the nonprofit or charity and they will probably have something they need help with. Finally, like many other fields, networking is key. While there is heavy competition in this field, there are also many, many helpful people who will introduce you to others and help you get your foot in the door. Also, with countless groups on LinkedIn and Facebook (and not to mention Twitter chats), you can link up with others already in the industry and meet more people. But be ready, this isn’t a field for 9-5 people!

6.    What’s the most rewarding part of working for The CBS?

It’s really very simple. I get to save lives. Every day. There is nothing more rewarding than that.

7.    Other than donating, how can students get involved with The CBS?

There are lots of ways! We have a National Volunteer Program with many different opportunities, from volunteering in blood donor clinics to organizing clinics, running blood typing events or doing public speaking. We have other donation programs that involve making a commitment for the future like donating stem cells, cord blood or organs, eyes, and tissues. All of this information can be found on our website.

8.    If people are interested in donating, where can they find more information?

Visit our website or download our GiveBlood app. We’d also love for you to check out the possibility of becoming a stem cell or cord blood donor. Also, don’t forget that you can also plan to donate your organs, eyes, and tissues. Share more!

Photos courtesy of Virginia Gaffney and www.blood.ca

Zoe Crego

U Ottawa '17

Zoë held the position of President of Her Campus at uOttawa from 2015-2017 and was a Senior Chapter Advisor. She graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2017 and has pursued a career in the Canadian federal public service. She is very grateful to Her Campus for providing a creative outlet while studying and believes her experience with Her Campus helped her grow professionally and personally.    
I transferred to uOttawa in September of 2013 from the beautiful University of British Columbia. But don't let that introduction fool you, I'm from Nova Scotia.  I like dresses, I like the Toronto Raptors, I like Christmas, I like bread, I like online shopping, I like Mindy Kaling and I like penguins.