Campus Celebrity: Justin Patrick of Campus Vibez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Recently I had the chance to ask Justin Patrick a couple of questions about his new club, Campus Vibez. 

PF: How did you become involved with Campus Vibez?

JP: Ali Badruddin, the founder of the national Campus Vibez organization, contacted me last year about creating a club that showcases the uOttawa student experience. I asked a few trusted friends if they would like to be part of the executive team, and by September 2014, we began our operations by officially founding Campus Vibez uOttawa

PF: What is the purpose behind Campus Vibez?

JP: We are essentially a club that helps clubs. We strive to connect students with extracurricular opportunities by helping clubs promote all the awesome things they do. Everything we do is totally free, and we provide services such as photography, videography, article writing, and social media promotion. We are currently working with about 10% of uOttawa clubs, as well as some sports teams and other student groups on campus. In other words, we are a communications firm run by volunteers. Through our efforts, we hope to raise extracurricular participation at uOttawa and help more students find extracurricular activities they enjoy. Maybe one day we will even be able to help increase the voter turnout in student government elections.

PF: How did the idea of Campus Vibez come along?

JP: There are hundreds of clubs on campus, and it’s often a challenge for students, especially first years and future students, to find out what each club or group can offer them. At the same time, it’s difficult for clubs to get their name out there and recruit new members each year. We thought it would be so nice if we could bridge this gap to enrich extracurricular life at uOttawa. Many of our members can directly relate from both students’ and clubs’ perspectives, and we believe that when students can unite under a common cause or shared interest, they can make significant positive change and have loads of fun while they’re at it.

PF: Where do you see Campus Vibez in a few years?

JP: Based on our progress from last September up until now, I would like to see the club continue at its steady rate of growth to be able to promote for 10% more clubs each year. I can see it beginning to allow for significant improvements in communication between student groups to encourage inter-club collaboration, as well as working to make the clubs system more efficient. I would like to see some more members join so we can increase our video-making capabilities to make a promo video for each of our member clubs. My all time goal is for the club to be the go-to spot for students to find out about extracurricular opportunities that interest them.

PF: What kind of feedback have you gotten?

JP: All of the feedback we have received has been very positive. Clubs are excited that these services are available to them for absolutely no cost, and we are currently looking for more members to keep up with the demand. We have received positive encouragement from present and future SFUO representatives. Our steadily growing social media presence is proof of the generous support we have received.

PF: How has Campus Vibez influenced your university career?

JP: It has significantly influenced my university career. I have become acquainted with executives and members of dozens of clubs, attending their meetings, events, and working closely with them for promotion initiatives. I’ve developed a real appreciation for the efforts of clubs and teams. I have also learned a lot about various methods of communication and promotion such as filming, social media, and web design that I never anticipated knowing a thing about. Furthermore, the experience has helped me and my team members develop ideas on how to improve communication systems involving clubs and other student groups on campus. Most importantly however, I have been blessed to be able to work with such an awesome group of dedicated students who together make the Campus Vibez uOttawa team. I am consistently impressed by their efforts and it is they who make the club run so successfully.