books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Best Study Spots On and Around Campus for Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that dreaded time of year again! Yup, that’s right… EXAM SEASON. Although these coming weeks may not be the absolute best times of your lives, at least we have the holidays to look forward to afterwards! Even though it may not be the most happy time of the year until then, here are some spaces that may help your long hours of studying be a little more comfortable this year.

On-Campus Study Spots

1. Tabaret Study Rooms

This room was especially designed by the school to be a spot for students to study/chill in between classes. Its not extremely popular because not many students know that these rooms exist. Therefore it is a great spot if you’re looking for a more lowkey and quiet place. Also, what’s great about this room is that it has an abundance of outlets to plug in your technology, a variety of seating options such as couches, cubicles, individual desks and large group desks, as well as a nice little fireplace to set the ambience.

2. UCU Student Lounge

This lounge is great if you want a place you can study but also be able to talk freely with your peers. Its a nice spot on the top floor of the UCU for students to chill, eat food, study in one of the booths or array of couches spread out, as well as actually get some work done. What’s great about this place is that there are a set of microwaves here, so you can pack some food from home and basically live here for the day!

3. 6th Floor Morisset Library

This floor in the Morisset Library is by far my favourite because of the nice comfy desk chairs and large desks with built in lights and outlets. It was originally designed for grad students, but depending on availability you can probably snag a seat, just make sure to go early because it is usually packed.

4. Fauteux Lounge and Law Library

The Fauteux Lounge and Law Library are definitely more underrated study spots at uOttawa. The lounge is great if you’re looking for a large space to study and talk with your friends as they have a large area of comfortable seating that is fit for discussions. If you are looking for a lowkey version of Morisset library, this is the place for you! The Brian Dickson Library on the 4th and 5th floor of Fauteux is the perfect place to get studying done in a quiet atmosphere. They have a wide range of study spots to meet your needs such as large group tables, individual study desks, study lounges, private study rooms and couch areas. You will definitely be able to get some serious work done here!

5. Faculty of Social Sciences Building

This is one of the more popular study spots on campus, probably due to its stunning views and architectural structures. Here, there are a wide range of areas where you can study such as the first floor lobby at the base of the living wall, the second floor study area, social science library and the third floor study area. They also have study rooms that you can book in advance if you are looking to maximize your studying experience. Also, if you are looking to really take in the views while studying, head up to the 14th or 15th floor to see expansive and amazing views of the city.

Off-Campus Study Spots

1. Presotea on Rideau

This study spot has amazing bubble tea with a wide range of fresh milk tea and smoothie options to quench your thirst cravings. Also, at the back of the store is a cute abundance of desks and comfy chairs to meet your studying needs. There are large desks for groups, comfy couches, and single tables to enjoy both refreshing bubble tea and study away. Don’t worry about connectivity, they have free wifi and many outlets to plug in your tech at this location.

2. Origin Trade Coffee Shop   

If you’re looking for more of a coffee shop vibe, Origin Trade is the place for you! Located in the Byward Market and a short walk away from the uOttawa campus, Origin Trade is a small quiet coffee shop with great ambience and atmosphere. The lighting will make you feel right at home and with their many couches and cozy tables you’ll never want to leave. You can also bet that their home-brewed coffee will give you the fuel you need to power through your study notes.

3. Eve Café in the Rideau Centre

Eve Café is another great place if your are looking for a study spot with a view. A hidden gem located on the rooftop of the Rideau Centre, Eve Café boasts amazing views of downtown while providing adequate seating and café food great for a quick meeting with friends or a nice study sesh. Be sure to check this place out, whether its to study or just to take in the amazing views of the city.

4. Hangout Ottawa in Chinatown     

At Hangout you get the best of both worlds as you can sit back and study to your hearts content and when you get hungry, you can have some delicious bubble tea or cake delivered right to your seat. On top of this, if you ever get bored of studying, you can take a break and try one of their many board games free of charge! Hangout is definitely a place you would want to “hang out” all day!

5. The Ottawa Public Library

If you are looking for a traditional study spot why not try one of the Ottawa Public Libraries in the city. The one located on Rideau is the nearest to the uOttawa campus and offers many areas you can spend the day studying. Also, if you are looking for a bit of a break, you can try picking up one of the many books and reading for a while.

Happy studying!