Avoid the Cliché this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We’ve seen it all before. Kisses in the rain, the over-the-top apology, the “happily ever after”. Clichés are only supposed to be in the movies, that’s why they’re clichés! However, every Valentine’s Day, I have seen and experienced, the “valentine’s day cliché”. You know exactly what I’m talking about. 

There’s nothing wrong with sticking to the status quo. Everyone loves classics, right? Wrong. The only classic that will always be safe is the LBD. This Valentine’s Day, try to go above and beyond. Do something that’s outside of the box. 

Instead of Roses, Chocolates and Jewellery

Get your partner something with a deeper meaning. Whether that includes their favourite movie, or an item they’ve been wanting forever, get them something different! Roses and chocolates on Valentine’s Day are like the birthday cards you got from someone filled with money. It’s not exactly what you wanted, but it’ll do. 

Jewellery is definitely something of deeper meaning, but ask yourself: Is my relationship at that step? If you’ve been dating for only a month or two, probably not. Avoid buying your partner really fancy pieces (watches, diamond earrings, etc.) on this day. The day will come when expensive jewellery is appropriate. Just be patient.

Instead of Dinner and a Movie

Go on a more adventurous date! Perhaps getting tickets to an event happening that Friday that actually sparks their interest. If you really want to stick to the “dinner and movie” theme, cook dinner at home! You can prepare your favourite meal together; which is way more romantic! You won’t have to face the Ottawa cold, worry about appropriate restaurant etiquette, the price, or what to wear. In fact collegiettes, I dare you to cook dinner with your partner in your undergarments/lingerie. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Instead of Rose Pedals and Candles

Bring dessert to the bedroom instead. Go to your local Bulk Barn and get some of your favourite toppings. Add some whip crème and voila! If you want a heavier meal, lay dinner all over yourself. If Samantha Jones can do it, so can you.

It’ll bring some excitement in the bedroom and be a lot of fun. Not to mention it’s been proven that having chocolate before any sexual activity excites you and your partner (if you know what I mean). 

And as a simple reminder, don’t go overboard with gifts. And don’t try to out-gift each other! It’s competitive and expensive. Set a budget for the both of you and stick to them. Whatever you buy your partner this Valentine’s Day, it should be meaningful. Sure every girl wants a Tiffany’s bracelet, but it doesn’t mean anything if it was purchased “because it’s Tiffany’s”. 

Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the one you love and personalize it for the one you love. Make it special. Good luck cupids! 

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5