This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The blooming thought of the Spring season instantly arrives with the smell of Easter flowers and, of course, the long awaited reveal of grass poking through melting snow. However, the grim reminder of exam season also hangs over our shoulders. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to appreciate the season’s fresh air but also be able to study peacefully without stressing too much about finals? What a lot of students don’t realize is that there is a way to multitask through the memorization of course material while allowing yourself to stop and smell the tulips. One thing to remember is that studying isn’t everything – having a good balance of relaxation and stimulation is the key to writing a successful exam. So, what better way to do so than enjoying what the busy but beautiful April has to offer?

First Thing’s First:

Don’t be afraid to leave campus. Most students go through first year without venturing off into the wonderful unknown that is downtown Rideau. The Byward Market holds comfortable places to take out your notebook and go to town on those course notes (and have a piece of cake… or two). So let’s get down to business:

Moscow Tea Room (527 Sussex Drive)

I went here while studying for geology earlier this year. There are couches/love seats perfect for sitting while writing that essay or lab report. Not to mention, the selection of teas come in super cute teakettles with a lot of beverage for your buck. The atmosphere here is soothing with nice music with a not too busy venue. I’d suggest the window seats to be able to get that much needed vitamin D while in the end having a warm belly full of tea. Definitely go with three to four friends to taste test all of the flavours!

Oh So Good (25 York Street)

The desserts here are… oh so good. Sorry. I had to – but nonetheless, this is an awesome study spot! You can choose between a café style study session in the front of the store or perhaps a more settled-in seating arrangement near the back. Either way, the servings of cake the size of your head will give you the sugar rush needed to study that extra mile. The lattes are also delicious and go hand in hand with the sweets.

Spin Café (17 Clarence Street)

If you want to go for round two studying and still want sugar, Spin has a great selection, too. Mondays – Thursdays are student discount days, which can be an awesome option for you money-cautious students out there. The places to sit are always decorated in cute designs and they offer every dessert/breakfast crepe imaginable. Now, I like some red wine while studying, so I was happy to see they sold wine, as well. A little fermented grape juice never hurt nobody.

The Tea Store (53 York Street)

Here, the tea selections are basically a big wall mosaic of awesome flavours. I downed a raspberry zest last time while looking out the window while people watching downtown. It was really nice considering the windows are open concept enough to allow light everywhere in the store. This location is the perfect place to pull out some cue cards and go over those key terms you were so foggy about earlier with a friend.

I know you are all fed up with studying at Starbucks, so I hope that my suggestions will give you all a head start with the dreaded studying that’ll occur in the next few weeks. Enjoy the transitioning Spring weather and head outside; maybe put away those mittens and grab your dusty sunglasses. Don’t treat this like a treasure map either, definitely venture out of the suggestions and look for other hole-in-the-walls. You never know, you could find a new study spot to look back to in your last year of university and say, “Wow, I’ve eaten so much cake,” but in the best way possible. 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.