burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

‘90s Trends That Made a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whether it be on the catwalk or on the street, we can’t deny that numerous ‘90s trends are making major comebacks (whether we want them to or not). That’s right. Those itchy turtlenecks that your mom used to force upon you as a kid are back and bigger than ever. This being said, rather than discard these passé looks, why not embrace them? Here are a few nostalgic trends that have been flooding the fashion scene.

1.  Chokers
Who would’ve thought that a thin piece of plastic could go so far? From ‘90s Britney Spears to modern Kim Kardashian West, this simple statement necklace has seen many variations. Whether it be metallic or velvet, the choker turns any plain outfit into something edgy. Some (including myself) have even resorted to tying plain black shoelaces around their necks in order to save whatever money they didn’t spend on overpriced textbooks. What can I say, desperate times call for desperate measures.

2. Mom Jeans
This iconic ‘90s closet staple has taken to fashion bloggers and Instagrammers like a duck to water. Don’t worry, if your mom’s old pair are too worn out, you can buy them at any big retailer such as H&M, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters (all located downtown). You simply can’t go wrong when you pair these high-waisted jeans with a simple top and jacket.

3. Turtlenecks
Now, now. I see you cringing at your screen. All those tragic memories from your childhood surfacing along with the terrible memory of turtlenecks. Those itchy sweaters your parents forced you to wear to every single family reunion. Whether you like it or not, these sweaters have made a major comeback and appear to be here to stay. This versatile piece is easily worn during all four seasons. In winter, layer a turtleneck under your favorite coat. During the summer, toss on a sleeveless one with a pair of cutoffs. The idea that turtlenecks are strictly meant for winter is in the past.

4. Creepers & Platform Shoes
As a major Spice Girls fan, I can happily say that platforms have slowly creeped their way back from the ‘90s and into my closet. Not only have these babies been all over the runway, but they have been flooding the streets. Further proving this point, Rihanna’s Puma creepers even won 2016 Shoe of the Year. This being said, you can snag yourself a pair (or multiple pairs) at L’intervalle, a Montreal-based store found at the CF Rideau Centre.

5. Flannel
Previously reserved for lumberjacks, ‘90s grunge kids stole this trend and made it their own. Tied around the waist or simply worn with a plain t-shirt, a flannel spices up any casual outfit. Considering how cold it is these days, throwing on a flannel is a great way to stay warm and look good while doing it.

What are you favourite vintage trends? Let us know in the comments below!

Sources: Cover

First year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student.