photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

8 Things Every Female Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Everyone has a certain product that they recommend to all their friends.  “Have you tried this?”, or “this will help with that!” are comments I have heard tossed around!

So, I’ve compiled a list of the 8 things I have found to be the most beneficial, and I would recommend to any female.

Style by Kate Spade

For those who don’t know who Kate Spade is, Kate Spade is a New York based designer of bags, clothing, shoes, and other accessories.  Her book Style was released in April 2004, and I cannot stress how much insight this book has donated into the development of my own personal style.

There are chapters on style for everyday, at work, how to organize your closet, and my personal favourite, the chapter on letting go of clothes you don’t wear anymore (I’m sure I’m not the only one that can’t bring herself to throw out my comfiest pair of jeans – even though they have too many holes!). There are pages devoted to every colour!  Each section includes what other colours match with it the best, and which type (of the many) styles of clothing they work the best on! In conclusion, I cannot stress how important this book is!

Along with Style, Kate Spade has written Occasions, and MannersOccasions includes tips on how to be a both a great hostess, and guest.  Manners (obviously) talks about how, and when to tip properly, all the way to how to properly dispense cherry pits. All books range from $15-20 brand new, and can be purchased from Amazon.com, or from a local Chapters.

Sally Hansen Green Tea and Olive Growth Nail Polish

Whether you bite your nails (and trying to give up this habit!), or they darned things just don’t grow fast enough, this product works. Not only does it help your nails grow remarkably fast, it creates a light pink sheen over your nails with a slight shine. In total, it looks great, and it works!

Macadamia Oil Shampoo

Whether you have heard the buzz surrounding macadamia oil, or not, you have now!  Macadamia oil is full of calcium, proteins, and various other vitamins. This past summer, I chopped off at least 5 inches of split ends, and simply, dead hair. Since then, I have used Organix Hydrating Macadamia Oil Shampoo and the corresponding conditioner.  I also make sure to deep condition with this conditioner at least once a week, and my hair has never been healthier. I dare you to try it!

Face masks

I have one word to describe face masks – fresh!  After finishing a face mask, your skin can’t help but feel rejuvenated, and ready to take on whatever you’re going to throw at it. The face masks commercially available come in a variety of ingredients that target different facial problems.  These include breakouts, black heads, or the dreaded red blemish.  These are quick, easy, and meet the fresh feeling requirements of a face mask, but why not try a home-made recipe when you have time?  You can find a few recipes here.

When is the best time to use a face mask?  Before a shower, that way you can wash it off easily!  Put on a face mask before going out to a date your nervous about, the fresh feeling could give you that extra confidence to rock it!

Sexy Underwear

Owning underwear that you feel sexy wearing will boost your confidence!  Don’t believe me? Check out this blog post by the Lingerie Addict. So when should you wear it?  On a bad day, on a big date, and whenever you feel like it!  It might give you that extra self-confidence at a time when you need it. No one else is seeing it (right?), but it can make feel you good.

St Ives Blemish Fighting Cleansing Cloths

You’ve come home from a night out, and you’re all too ready for bed – there is no time to remove make-up. I hate waking up in last night’s make up, and I can’t be the only one. Using facial clothes just to remove the basic layer of whatever make-up you’re wearing is fast, and is a little thing to help prevent any acne. St Ives Blemish Fighting Cleansing Cloths are my personal favourite. They always get rid of the all my make-up. The cloths also smell great, and fight blemishes at the same time!

I wouldn’t recommend facial wipes to remove any mascara, or eye liner. The ingredients on the cloth are not for your eye balls!  Though, I would like to add that removing mascara by swiping a wet cloth in the direction of application removes mascara extremely well, and prevents the breakage of eyelashes aiding in the lengthening of your eye lashes.

Tea Tree Oil

You’ve probably heard of tea tree oil being the product that gets rid of lice, but that’s not its only use! Tea tree oil is actually a natural antiseptic, and healing aid.  So, what does that mean?  It is perfect for bright red acne, or scabs (especially facial).  It is very strong, and not recommended to apply near the eyes, as it will cause irritation. Many acne skincare lines are beginning to use tea tree oil in their products (check out The Body Shops’ tea tree line, they even have a face mask).

Something that is actually also a surprising warrior against bright, red, acne is hemorrhoid cream.  What is a hemorrhoid?  I won’t go into the nitty-gritty, but it’s basically a red, swollen vein.  Hemorrhoid cream also fights the redness, and swelling of acne.

Your Body

The most important thing of all, is to own your body!  Whatever your body type, own it!  You are unique, and you are beautiful!

In conclusion, there are so many products available to you that can help you feel beautiful and boost your confidence. So, make a recommendation to a friend, you could change their lives forever!  That’s intense, but seriously, help a sista out!