jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Struggles of Being a Telfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Ah Telfer, how we love you. But sometimes, it can be a struggle to be a student in your faculty. Although there are many we could name, here are some struggles Telfer students can relate to:

1. Business Communication Skills Class
One of the mandatory classes for graduation is the Business Communication Skills class. This is a class about preparing weekly presentations and writing memos. These presentations are marked very strictly and require a lot of preparation (there’s even a strict dress code; blazer is a must). If you ask any Telfer student about this class, you will most likely get an irritated groan and an “Ugh that class!” for a response.

2. Weekend Midterms
Dearest Telfer, while we understand that not all midterms can be scheduled during class, are weekend midterms really necessary? Some semesters, it seems like Telfer is one of the only faculties with multiple weekend midterms during a semester. After a week of classes, going to a 9:30 am Sunday midterm is not exactly the type of relaxation we had in mind.

3. Business Formal
For the select few individuals, dressing in business formal can be fun. But for the rest of us, it can be a bother and annoying to put on the suit/skirt and blazer combination for one event. Even worse, those clothes don’t come cheap. As lower-year students (1st and 2nd years), most of our wardrobes aren’t bursting with business formal attires just yet. This would prompt a mall trip (or wearing the same outfit again and again). If your event is after all your classes, you often wear your formal attire all day and risk it getting wrinkled! 

4. The Distance to the Desmarais Building (DMS)
While we do love DMS (and mostly because it has Starbucks in it), it can be a pain to get to. If you have a class in Colonel By and another one right after in DMS, good luck getting there in less than ten minutes. While it is on the OC Transpo Transit-way, there is no other easy way to get there except by walking. Not to mention, with the closing of Campus station on April 24, it will only get more difficult. When it’s raining or snowing, it can be annoying to have to wait for the walk signal and get soaked from the horrible weather.

5. Classes in DMS? Just Kidding.
It seems like every other faculty has a lot or the majority of classes in their own buildings, especially during first and second year. But Telfer students? Nope… we get to trek to SITE for a class or FSS for a discussion group. While it’s understandable due to the fact that DMS only has a few lecture halls that can hold a certain amount of students, it would be nice to have a class in our own faculty’s building. 

6. Worst Final Exam Schedules
While keeping with the trend of horrible midterm schedules, Telfer likes to treat us to horrible finals schedules, as well. While other faculties get the nice 1-3 exams or 2-5 pm exams, Telfer has two options: 9:30am-12:30 pm exams (eww early mornings) or 7-10 pm exams (eww late night exams). What us students would give for an afternoon exam… and it seems that every single semester Telfer has exams scheduled on the last few days of the exam period. So not only are all the exams extremely early or extremely late, there can be a long stretch of no exam days in between them, which can be brutal for out of town students.

So yes Telfer, we really have these student struggles at your school. Calling all Telfer students! What are some other struggles of being a Telfer student?

Picture Credits: Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!