This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Vaginal and breast health is really important, especially when you’re sexually active with a new partner making sure everything is healthy and functional is quite a priority. When going to the gynecologist, it’s sometimes difficult to know exactly what to ask.

Here are some questions to bring up to your gyno in order to make sure those vajayjays and breasts are alright!

1. “Why does sex hurt sometimes?”

This is really important because it may be as simple as using a different condom brand. Some of the symptoms of a latex allergy include itching, coughing, sneezing, hives or even breathing difficulties. Lots of people are allergic to latex condoms, so using polyurethane ones should help solve this problem. If that doesn’t help, it could be a more pressing matter and should be looked at right away. The pain could be caused by an infection, such as chlamydia or herpes, so it’s best to get it treated as soon as possible. Nevertheless, this is always a good question to ask if there’s the slightest bit of discomfort.

2. “Should I get tested for an STD/STI?”

Absolutely, especially if you are sexually active with a new partner. Many STIs have no symptoms, so you may not know if you have contracted one. No matter what, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

3. “What’s up with this vaginal odour?”

Girl, you’re not alone. It can smell kinda funky down there, so this is always a good one to ask. Vaginal odour isn’t necessarily a sign that something is wrong, as it can change during different times in your cycle. However, if you notice something unpleasant and out of the ordinary, it could be a sign of an infection.

4. “Why is my period so painful?”

It’s no secret that cramps aren’t a walk in the park. But you don’t have to suffer every month. Your doctor may be able to advise you on medication or prescribe birth control, which can help reduce the pain. If your cramps are getting to a point where you can’t even move because you’re in so much pain, antibiotics or further examinations may be required. The pain could be caused by an underlying medical condition.

5. “How should I check my breasts in order to detect any possible lumps or symptoms of breast cancer?”

Breast cancer awareness is growing within Canada and around the world. Taking care of your body and checking your breasts for symptoms of breast cancer is vital, and your gyno can show you how to do that.

With these tips, you should have no problems being upfront with your doctor. Take care of your body and you’ll have full peace of mind!