This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

In the past five years, nail art has taken over the beauty industry. From stickers and designs to nail jewels and epic 3D effects like shattered glass and glow-in-the-dark, nail polish has never been so popular.

Yet, even amongst all the crazy trends, there is still something so flattering and appealing about simple and minimalist nail art. The understated yet interesting lines and shades somehow complete your look without being too over the top. Also, a simple manicure means we don’t have to spend twenty or thirty dollars getting our nails done by professionals. #Winning! Check out these simple yet edgy minimalist nail trends to inspire your next manicure.

1. Negative Space

The negative space trend hit us like a tidal wave a couple years ago and we’re loving it. Negative space is a pretty artsy term, but it’s basically referring to the space between and around the central subject. In this case, the space between and around your nail polish. The French manicure is a perfect example of this, but there are dozens of other styles. Brit+Co has an awesome article with tons of ideas for negative space nails, so definitely check that out.

2. A Little Graphic

A little graphic goes a long way. A few small stripes can take your regular mani from boring to bold in just a few seconds. If you want to ramp up your manicure try adding a few small lines to one or all your nails. The trick is to keep the lines thin and even.

3. Neutrals 

If you’re not into nail art or just don’t feel like doing the extra work, you can achieve a minimalist manicure by choosing a great neutral shade. Black, white, grey, and nude all fall into the spectrum of neutral colours. Also, neutrals can be worn during any season. My favourite go-to is a faded mauve shade with a perfect shiny top coat.

4. Grids

Grid nails can fall under the umbrella of negative space but can also be done with two shades as well. It just depends on your taste. They’re easy enough to do yourself if you have a steady hand and some handy-dandy striping tape. There’s also a good tutorial if you need a visual guide.

5. Marble Nails

The minimalist marble print is probably my favourite right now. When I found out I could do it on my nails I immediately went home to try it out. After some research I found two tutorials that can help you achieve this look. If you like the water marble tutorials, here’s one that will help you get that minimalist marble effect. There is also a freehand tutorial if you don’t want to use water. 

I’ve noticed that in the last year my own style has changed a lot when it comes to nail art. Even though I absolutely love the wild and crazy nail designs I see on Pinterest and Instagram, I’m also becoming a huge fan of keeping it minimal. Not to mention, I don’t spend nearly as much time to have intricate and creative nail designs. These minimalist nail trends are like a small blessing because I can still have a killer mani without having to spend hours on my nails like I did.

Do you have a minimalist inspired mani? Do you have a favourite? Snap a pic and tag us on Instagram or send us a tweet on Twitter!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista