This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With winter just around the corner, why not take a moment to bask in the happy medium that is fall; the season where you can pull off a cute jacket and ankle boots without having to worry about frostbite. This year, the trends have been all over the place. From this summer’s flowers and ruffles, designers have now focused their fall collections on statement pieces that are also wearable on the streets.

1. Statement Chokers
Creeping back from the’90s, the choker trend has slowly made its way back into the spotlight and has taken the fashion world by storm. From the runway to the streets, the choker has been the go-to accessory this fall. Whether it be metallic, leather or velvet, the word is out: THE BIGGER THE BETTER. Not only do the different textures add dimension, it spices up a simple outfit and can be easily paired with an old pair of “Mom Jeans” and a leather jacket. From Gigi Hadid to Rihanna, this trend is a MUST for fall.

2. A Touch of Velvet
Straight out of New York Fashion Week (NYFW), velvet has been making quite the statement in the past few weeks. Contrary to popular belief, velvet has evolved beyond your grandmother’s old coat (which I would refer to as “Vintage-Chic”) and has been the object of many celebrities’ outfits. The key to velvet is not to overdo it — one velvet item is plenty. Feeling adventurous? Pair a velvet jumpsuit with black stilettos and you’re all set for a night out on the town with the girls.

3. Leather Weather
Let’s be real: leather jackets will never go out of style. Paired with a dress or simply a pair of skinnies, the leather jacket adds a little bit of edge to any outfit. If you’re not into the whole “grunge look,” you’re in luck. This fall, bright colours such as pink and yellow have been making frequent appearances on the runways and has given the jacket and entirely new look. Whatever your preference, a leather jacket is the perfect accent piece to a plain outfit in need of little spunk. Now go and let your inner biker chic shine!

4. Mix & Match
During fashion month, multiple looks came down the runway and sparked the same question: Does that even match? However, it was clear these mismatched outfits were thought out and intentional. The mix of colours and patterns add dimension to any outfit and turn cheap finds into chic ones. This trend can be a little tricky to achieve, but the results are amazing, so get ready to clash and look fab doing it!

5. Go Comfy
You’ll be glad to hear that loungewear is back in style! You can now wear that hoodie you’ve been keeping for house-bound activities in public without looking like you literally “woke up like this.” It seems as though looking comfy is where it’s at this fall and possibly all the way into the spring. We’re thrilled about this, because let’s be real, you don’t always have time to look put together and these midterms are a pain. Here’s to our favorite trend!

What fall fashion trend will you be sporting this season? Let us know in the comments below! 

SaveSave

First year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student.