This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Frustrated because you have nothing to wear? Tired of having to buy new outfits out of fear of being repetitive? Then this article’s for you. If you didn’t already know, purchasing accessories opens your wardrobe to an entire new world of possibilities and gives one piece in your wardrobe multiple looks. This way, in the long run, you’ll be saving money. What else could a broke university student want? Here are a few essential accessories to have in your wardrobe that will never go out of style:

1. Floppy Panama Hat
Let’s be real. We’ve all had those not-so-great hair moments where we’ve stuffed our knotted strands into a beanie and called it a day. This being said, what if we could conceal our unwashed hair without looking like we just came out of hiding and haven’t bathed in weeks? From casual to chic, the floppy hat is a versatile piece that allows you to spice up any outfit. Buying a felt hat is perfect for Ottawa’s temperamental weather conditions. Not only does it help block the sun from your eyes, but the felt also keeps your head warm in the fall. Match this accessory with a pair of jeans and a leather jacket and you’re ready to rock n’ roll.

Nordstrom – starting at $29.00

2. Bohemian Bag with Fringe
It goes without saying that a bag is one of the most important accessories that truly polishes off an outfit. This year, bags with fringe have been all the rage. Not only have they taken this year’s New York Fashion Week (NYFW) by storm, but the ’70s look has been seen on the streets all year round. Afraid of looking like you just stepped out of a rodeo? We suggest pairing your fringe with something minimalist or modern.

Nordstom – $26.62

3. Big scarves
We all know that “Winter is coming” isn’t simply a catch-phrase from Game of Thrones. Living in Ottawa, we know what it’s like to develop what you think is frostbite as you wait at the corner of Laurier for a bus that never seems to come on time. Lucky for us, some genius thought to design a large scarf (that doubles as a blanket in my opinion) to save our faces from falling off in the midst of a good ol’ Canadian winter. These statement pieces not only keep you warm, but play up any outfit. Pair it with a warm cardigan and a pair of trousers and you’re on your way.

Zara – $35.90

4. Knee-high boots
I know what you’re thinking. Knee-high boots are a tricky look to achieve if you don’t want to look like you just stole Julia Roberts’ pair out of Pretty Woman. However, pair them with a simple pair of jeans and a jacket and you’ve just boosted a plain outfit. Night out with the girls? Pair them with a little black dress. These versatile boots have been put aside for too long and it’s time they got the appreciation they deserve.

Forever 21 – $33.90

What are your essential accessories? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.

SaveSave

SaveSave

First year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student.