3 Tips to Maintain Your Sanity in University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Let’s face it, studying for university is stressful. Whether you’re taking a full course load or barely any courses at all, it’s difficult not to become overwhelmed by the vast amounts of readings, assignments and labs assigned by your professors. In fact, it seems like there’s a certain point in the semester where some students feel so burnt out that all they want to do is barricade themselves in their rooms, eat ice cream, binge-watch Netflix and ignore all of their responsibilities. While this may seem like the best option at this point in the semester, this method of relieving stress does more harm than good. In order to manage your stress levels, here are three tips to help you maintain your sanity while studying at university.

1. Get enough sleep

Doctors always stress the importance of sleep but it seems like getting a good night’s rest takes a back seat to deadlines and exams. That’s really too bad since adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle and can benefit your heart, weight, mind and more. Researchers have discovered that getting a good night’s sleep can improve memory, sharpen attention and even improve your grades. When you think about it, it makes sense. How are you supposed to feel like a productive person when you’re slowly turning into a zombie?

2. Avoid artificial energy boosters

While popping caffeine pills or any other form of prescription drug may give you an instant burst of energy, it ultimately is not the best choice when you need a quick boost of energy. It may keep you awake for longer, but will end in an energy crash resulting, again, in a greater susceptibility to stress. Instead, try eating naturally energy boosting foods such as eggs, green tea, yogurt, nuts, apples and spinach.

3. Get emotional support

We often neglect our emotional selves in order to be productive and get things done. But the fact is that everyone needs a shoulder to cry on. Venting to a trusted friend or a professional about your worries, stresses and problems can make your soul feel light as a feather and can help you feel a bit calmer in stressful times. 

Sources: 1, 2