3 Self-Help Books You Can Read Over The Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Instead of wasting away on the couch, numbly scrolling through Netflix, the holiday break would be a good time to do something you probably haven’t done since the beginning of your undergraduate: READ FOR FUN. Before January hits us like a brick to the face and we have to get back on our study grind, check out some of these books!

Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) – Mindy Kaling

You might know her as Kelly Kapoor from The Office or as the off-the-wall Mindy Lahiri from Mindy Project, but one thing is certain: it’s impossible not to fall in love with Kaling’s perfectly timed, sharp delivery. Between the comedic moments, Kaling manages to slip in the most valuable life lessons she’s learned. From growing up as the chubby elder child of two Indian immigrant parents to figuring out who she is as a career woman, Mindy presents us with her best laugh-out loud and hard-hitting advice.

Highlight of the Book: If someone called me chubby, it would no longer be something that kept me up late at night. Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me. Do I envy Jennifer Hudson for being able to lose all that weight and look smokin hot? Of course, yes. Do I sometimes look at Gisele Bundchen and wonder how awesome life would be if I never had to wear Spanx? Duh, of course. Thats kind of the point of Gisele Bundchen. And maybe I will, once or twice, for a very short period of time. But on the list of things I want to do in my lifetime, thats not near the top. I mean, its not near the bottom either. Id say its right above Learn to drive a vespa, but several notches below film a chase scene for a movie.”

Buy it here

Bossypants – Tina Fey

Maybe it’s the ease with which she dismisses society’s unrealistic expectations of women or maybe it’s the fact that she gave us pure comedy gold in the seven seasons of 30 Rock, but one thing you can be sure of is that it’s hard not to love Tina Fey. Whether she’s criticizing impossible beauty standards, talking about trying to get her voice heard as a woman in the workforce, or juggling the responsibilities of being a working mother, Tina Fey doesn’t fail to deliver. Bossypants is littered with gems that women can put to use in their day-to-day lives!

Highlight of the Book: So, my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism, or ageism, or lookism, or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: Is this person in between me and what I want to do? If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when youre in charge, dont hire the people who were jerky to you.

Buy it here

Not That Kind of Girl – Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham gave us Girls and for that reason alone she will forever hold a special place in my heart, but right when I think I can’t possibly love her any more she gives us this perfect book. Dunham explores everything from self-worth, romance, sexism, managing to deliver all this wisdom in her trademark self-deprecating wit. If you need advice for any life crisis, you’ll find it in the pages of Not That Kind Of Girl!

Highlight of the Book:I have been envious of male characteristics, if not the men themselves. I’m jealous of the ease with which they seem to inhabit their professional pursuits: the lack of apologizing, of bending over backward to make sure the people around them are comfortable with what they’re trying to do. The fact that they are so often free of the people-pleasing instincts I have considered to be a curse of my female existence.

Buy it here

For many of us who will be graduating in June and are freaking out at the thought, we might as well use our holiday break to flip through these books to find the post-grad inspiration we need!

Sources: Cover

SaveSave

Student. 22. Canadian/Eritrean. Short?