This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

New Year’s Eve has come and gone. We are past the night filled with sparkly dresses and equally sparkling champagne. The DJ has turned down the bass, the countdown is over and the ball has officially dropped. That leaves us with the end of the month of January that promises us a new beginning to create resolutions that we promise to stick to whether it’s shedding those extra pounds or studying harder. While it might be hard to make it the gym everyday or ignore the persistent pull of Netflix the night before a midterm, these fashion resolutions are simple but will make a huge difference in how you see yourself and how others will view you.

1. Throw away the notion that investment pieces have to be expensive
We have all have read countless magazines that tell us classic pieces like the beige trench coat and white t-shirt are investment pieces and in order for them to be worth while they need to cost an arm and a leg. While Burberry is a household name for trenches and the simplicity of Alexander Wang’s t-shirts have been praised in every fashion week since the beginning of time, classic investment pieces can come from anywhere as long as the quality is sound. Whether that’s your mom’s closet, Value Village or Nordstrom, it really doesn’t matter. So stop eating noodles three meals a day so you can afford classic pieces.

2. Stop buying trendy clothes that you’ll only wear once
Remember when camouflage exploded all over the fashion scene?  It was about the same time as the safari look decided to grace us with its presence. Everyone walked around looking like an animal being hunted or a tour guide for African Lion Safari. And you excitedly bought those camouflage pants because you earnestly “loved” them at the time. Fast forward 5 years later and they consistently haunt your memory every time you catch a glimpse of them. Resisting the urge of giving into trends is difficult, but if you do make sure you actually like the fad and buy a versatile piece that can be worn even after the trend has passed. My view on trends is this: if everyone was jumping off a bridge (into an abyss where everyone had frosted tips and wore chokers) does that make it right? Would you do it too?

3. Stop buying cheap, poor quality clothes
I will be the first one to say “All hail Forever 21!”

It’s cheap, trendy and can stretch your dollar. But that store is a vortex that gradually eats away at money and makes no apologies for it. While you might be initially impressed with an item, some of those clothes don’t make it through the first wash, or unravel so fast your tunic becomes a crop top by the end of the night. So while you might see a pair of jeans for three dollars I ask you to please resist the strange attraction to something that 99% too good to be true.

4. Be more adventurous with your look!
The great thing about hair, makeup and clothes is that they are not permanent! You can switch it up as easily or as often as you want. Hair always grows back, makeup can be removed and clothes can be changed. That being said use 2016 to experiment with all of these elements. Try that bold red lip in the daytime, perfect your winged liner, wear your natural hair whether it’s stick straight or an afro, wear a brightly coloured shirt or finally get those heels you’ve had your eye on for months. I promise you you’ll feel more confident and people will compliment you because of your bold choices and for trying something different.

5. Purge your closet and donate your old clothes.
Go through every item in your closet and evaluate it. Ask yourself do you really like this? How do you feel in it? When was the last time you wore this? If any of those answers is a negative or more than a year ago, donate it to someone else who could really use it. Style is incredibly personal and subjective, so that jumpsuit that you can’t unsee is another person’s must-wear. By donating your clothes you’ll free up some space and give back to the community. It’s a win win situation.

6. Buy what fits you and stop caring about size.
It’s so easy to get caught up in size while you’re shopping. In one store you could be a size 4 and in another you’re a size 8. While this might be shocking, it’s incredibly common for many people. If you place the value of your body or your self esteem in a number, you’ll be disappointed – it’s inevitable. So instead pick up a range of sizes to try on and buy that one makes you feel like fire – regardless of the number!

Use 2016 to expand on yourself and be brave! Your style is as versatile as you are, so use these resolutions to promote that. How you look is what you initially present to the world before they get the wonderful opportunity to experience everything that is you, so put your best foot forward and have an eventful and stylish 2016. Good luck collegiettes!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

My name is Bunmi Adesanya. I am a third year health science student at the University of Ottawa who considers cookie dough a food group, and believes Beyonce is my spirit animal.