This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

1. The one who fishes and wants everyone to know it.
The first picture is of him holding a fish a giant fish he caught with a cheesy self-satisfied grin on his face. We get it buddy, you fish, wear plaid, and drink cheap beer. This guy is actually so popular that there is a tumblr page devoted to him… poor Ryan.

2. The “I’m only looking for friends.”
Everyone has come across the profile of the intriguing, yet mysterious, foreign student every once in a while. One common thing they all have in common is the line in their profile that reads “I’m new here looking for friends.” We’re sure your just looking for friends, just like how when I eat nutella I only “plan” on just scooping one spoonful. 

3. The guy who only wants sex. 
Seeing as Tinder started as a hookup app, stumbling across someone looking purely for a hookup should come as no surprise. However, if that’s not want you want and would like to avoid potentially awkward conversations, look for these telltale clues:
– More than 2 shirtless pictures
– Sexual innuendos in his bio
– Eggplant emoji
– Mentions Netflix
– Tries to win your “heart” with Gilmour Girls’ references (this is a trap – RUN!)

4. The where is Waldo guy.
Looking through his pictures is like playing a game of where is waldo because every picture is a group picture and you’re praying it’s the hot one in the middle. But alas… it it never is.

5. The potential catfish.
You tentatively swipe right because how can this Lance Gross look alike be on tinder?  You still swipe right because you have hope and thanks to all the Disney princess movies you binged watched as a child. Then, it’s a match!  You eventually start talking, but every time your phone vibrates you expect the first line of the text message to read “Hey It’s Nev from catfish, got a second?”

6. The guy who swiped right on everybody.
It’s a match and conversation is generic, but not completely painful. That is until a few messages in and then you realize that he has forgotten your name and is sharing inside jokes from another conversation.

7. The guy who’s actually underage.
This profile usually depicts a young man struggling to grow an excuse for a beard. Scrolling down his profile however, the pubescent struggle makes complete sense as you read “actually 17.”

8. The guy from high school.
This message starts with one of several dreaded lines. You can take your pick:
– Hey, you look familiar.
– Do you know (insert name here)?
– Hey, you used to go to (insert High school name) right?

In a fit of of horror, you panic and delete tinder immediately, only to begin the cycle again when boredom strikes.

9. The Guy with a puppy.
The first thing you notice in the picture is the cute dog, and your decision to swipe right is based solely on the cuteness of the dog. Considering all dogs are divine creatures sent to make life on earth a little bit better, why wouldn’t you? Sometimes if you’re really lucky, the guy is cute too. 

10. The nice guy.
Luckily not every guy on tinder is a troll. While there is no promise of prince charming and happily ever after, you might meet a nice guy whose conversation and presence is actually fun.

Sources: Cover Photo

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.