sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Cute Date Ideas for the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Now that we’re in the month of February, the Winter season is in full swing! While the cold weather might be discouraging, there’s a lot of things to do in the city that involve more than just staying indoors and binge-watching Netflix (although that’s a good idea too!). Whether its with your s/o, a BFF, a family member or someone that’s just fun to hang out with, these are the best places in Ottawa to go to for a cute date during the winter!

1. Skating

This winter activity is a must for anyone who knows how to skate in Ottawa. Best part? If you already have a pair of skates, its free! There are plenty of great skating rinks around Ottawa such as the Rink of Dreams, the Canada 150 rink in front of Parliament, the Lansdowne Park skating court, the Rideau Hall rink, the 3km rink in the Quebec woods, and of course, the longest rink in the world – the Rideau Canal! If you don’t have your own pair of skates, there are tons of locations to rent them along the Canal, the Rink of Dreams and the Canada 150 rink.

2. Go out to Dinner at a Nice Restaurant

There’s nothing better than the classic dinner date to end the day with some great food. If you’re looking for some fine dining in the Ottawa area, check out the Courtyard restaurant or Vittoria Trattoria in the market. Beckta Dining and Wine in Centretown is also a good choice! If you’re looking for something a little more casual, try Johnny Farina or Bier Market in Centretown. The Grand Pizzeria and Bar is also a great place to get food if you’re feeling a casual Italian dinner. Plus, if you head over during the week from 3-6pm or 9-closing, they have a great market hour deal where you can enjoy some of their in-house made pizzas at half price, $5 beers, and $20 sangria pitchers!

3. Go to a Board Games Café

Board game cafés are the best activity to do in the winter if you’re looking for a cozy place to chill and have fun. There are a few great board games cafes in Ottawa you can go to. If you’re looking for something in the Byward Market area, check out the Loft Board Game Lounge on 14 Waller Street, near the Rideau Centre. There is a $5 stay and play fee, but if you go on a Tuesday you can play for free! Another option is Monopolatte in Chinatown which is open late and offers free cover on Mondays.

4. Get Active

Even though its winter, there are still plenty of ways to do some fun activities that involve a bit of exercise. Try indoor rock climbing/bouldering at Vertical Reality or Altitude Gym, explore the largest cave on the Canadian Shield at Arbraska Lafleche, get competitive in a game of archery tag at Archery games, take a yoga class at Pure Yoga, reach new heights at Skyzone Ottawa or compete in a friendly game of laser tag at LaserQuest.There are a ton of ways to get active even during the coldest days of the year.

5. Watch a VIP Movie

If you’re looking for a great date night, head over to Cineplex for a VIP movie. This is no ordinary movie viewing experience! With reserved-seating, large recliner-style chairs, waiters to bring your food and popcorn right to your seat before the show, and best of all, a wide range of alcoholic drinks to choose from, this is the best movie-going experience if you want to feel #BoujeeAF. 

6. Go Mini-Golfing

What’s cuter than a mini putt date? A Glow In The Dark mini putt date! Head over to Putting Edge, Ottawa’s blacklight 18-hole mini golf course based in Nepean. It only costs $11.50 each to play a game. Not to mention, this is a great spot to get those fire pics for the gram!

7. Head to the Casino

If you’re looking to dress up and go somewhere fancy but exciting, why not head to the Lac Leamy Casino in Gatineau? Just a short distance away from downtown Ottawa, the casino has tons of attractions. From slot machines and poker tables, to an adjacent nightclub and restaurant on the upper level, you’re sure to have a great time. Who knows? You might even end up winning big!

8. Enjoy a Night Out

Lucky for you, the nightlife in Ottawa goes year round, so there’s definitely some clubs and bars you could hit up even in the wintertime! If you head to the Byward Market, there’s a ton of nightclubs and bars to choose from. If you are looking for a cool new bar to check out, Room104 just opened in the Market and has a ton of drinks to choose from plus a bunch of old arcade games you can play!

9. Get Artsy

If you are looking for a chill date indoors, why not go painting? Paint Nite Ottawa is a great place to go with friends, family, even bae! Show off your creative skills and come home with a great souvenir painting to hang on your wall at the end of the day. There’s also a bunch of pottery painting places in Ottawa including Art Haven, Colour Me Mine and The Mud Oven to name a few.

10. Check out Winterlude

Winterlude is a must see during the winter season. The annual festival runs from February 2nd to February 19th this year and has tons of activities happening in various parts of Ottawa. With some truly Canadian activities like an ice carving competition, performances by a circus lumberjack, and ice dancing lessons, you’re definitely going to want to see what’s going on during the few weeks this event comes in town!

Now get out there and enjoy all that the winter season has to offer!