Is your “thing” flourishing or fizzling?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s more than a friendship, but less than a relationship: it’s a “thing”. You’re into him and you THINK he’s into you, but you aren’t quite sure where this is going. Is your “thing” flourishing or fizzling? Read below to find out!

It’s flourishing if…

1. When you ask him to date party, he also invites you to come to his.

It’s easy to accept an invitation to any old date party. For your date, it is a free opportunity to dance, make out, and get away from campus. But if he’s also inviting you to his date party, it shows that in addition to having a great time with you, he also wants to show you off to his friends. However, if a girl asks a guy to her date party, some guys might feel the pressure to ask her to theirs, so I would say your “thing” is only working if you both have a great time and insist on seeing each other again.

2. Not only does he want to see you, he puts in the effort.

Plenty of guys might say they want to hang out, but that’s pretty much the most non-committal comment in the world. He genuinely wants to see you if he texts you to hang out with a specific time and place. But it doesn’t count if it’s after midnight, because that’s just a booty-call (sorry). If he’s a good guy, he will make plans to go do an activity with you, eat with you, play mini-golf with you, etc., instead of just making plans to sit on his couch.

3. He keeps calling!

Whether it be actually calling, texting, or just asking to see you, it’s pretty obvious when a guy wants this “thing” to work. When my boyfriend and I started dating, we talked so much just because we wanted to learn more about the other person. Remember, the beginning of a budding relationship is the best part, so savor it.

It’s fizzling if…

1. He blows you off.

If he blows you off more than once, ditch him. One time is okay, emergencies and crazy days do happen, but if it’s more than once then you should re-download your Tinder app. Even if you talk to him all the time, if he keeps cancelling plans, it’s a done deal.

2. He’s hiding stuff from you.

Whether it’s text messages or his whereabouts, it probably means that he’s just not that into you and he’s probably very into someone else. Don’t be the girl that waits for his other “thing” to not pan out. Find someone else who only has eyes for you.

3. It’s turning into just a booty call.

He says he would love to see you at a party or a game day darty, pregame with you, and hang out after you guys go out for the night. While this all means he wants to see you, it also means he only wants to see you for an hour and he’s really hoping you’ll be naked. This is the biggest sign that he’s just using you and you should kick him to the curb.

Photo courtesy of: http://www.germanculture.com.ua/library/weekly/aa081300a.htm

Jaclyn Nagel is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior studying English and Creative Writing and earning a certificate in Sales. She enjoys eating copious amounts of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and reading the Harry Potter books over and over again. Follow her on instagram as @manisandmojitos! And make sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram at @hercampusumich!