Your Guide to International FOMO: What You Miss Out On When You DON’T Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

For many students, the decision to study abroad is an easy one to make. But these students probably don’t attend the University of Michigan, where the leaders and best of the world convene to work hard and play hard. Here in our tree-lined bubble, the FOMO surrounding the Notre Dame game under the lights, going wild with the Maize Rage, celebrating the end of finals at Skeeps or Rick’s, and ending the night at BTB can all be difficult to resist. But resist you must. Studying abroad is important for many serious reasons (like personal growth, career development, etc), but after considering all the inevitability of your own international FOMO, the decision will be that much simpler.  

1)   It’s -20° F and the administration didn’t grant a snow day. Instead of freezing your butt off and walking to class, this could be you:

2)   It’s time to hit the books! Instead of going for your usual at Jimmy John’s or Panch, you could be feasting on foreign delicacies like crepes, paella, or bratwurst.

3)   Football games at the Big House are cool and all, but what about a relaxing game of real football at the Estadio Nacional? Or perhaps you want to learn rugby or cricket? American sports are so passé; learn a new one and impress your friends with your knowledge.  

4)   Home away from home. It’s winter break and too much time with the family is driving you crazy. If you study abroad there’s no reason to worry –  you have another family in a whole new country who would welcome you back in a heartbeat.

5)   Casual country hopping. The United States is large, wide, and a hassle to leave. If you study abroad, no more waiting for spring break to flee the country – just take an hour-long train to the border. Voila!

6)   International threads. “Oh my god I love your dress! Where did you get it?” “Thanks! I got it super cheap at this little boutique in Rio!” Cue envy.

7)   International love. No need to mention to your new boyfriend on campus about that fling you had with the sexy Parisian and the lovely week you spent together in Italy. Keep that for the girl talk.

8)   All of a sudden, you have friends and free places to stay all over the U.S. and the world. “What are you doing for spring break?” “I’m going to (insert beautiful place here)!” “Oh, cool! What are you going to do there?” “Hang out with my roommate from study abroad. We’ll probably go hiking and just hang out on the beach.”

9)   The social media teasing alone. While all your friends post statuses about how much sleep they didn’t get during finals, you could be posting this:

While FOMO is certainly not the only reason to consider studying abroad, it is definitely one of the most powerful. There is a whole big world out there and you don’t want to miss out on it!

Contact info:

Macey Hallstedt is a soon-to-be graduate of UMich, with a Bachelor’s in Communications and Spanish. She studied abroad in San José, Costa Rica in 2013 with CEA Study Abroad and would love to help you discover the wide world of study abroad!

Maceynh@umich.edu