Weekend Getaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Exams are over and summer has begun! Why not celebrate with a weekend getaway? Here are a few suggestions for places around the country. No matter where you are when summer begins, one of these destinations is bound to not be too far away!

Muskegon, Michigan
A classic lakeshore destination! Have a swim in Lake Michigan, or maybe just get some sun on the beach (the lake might still be cold with how early UMich’s semester ends). Hike in Muskegon State Park—or better yet, have a picnic! If you get tired of being on land, take a scenic day cruise on the Port City Princess.  At night, head to the Getty Drive-In Theater; it’s one of only eight drive-in theaters left in Michigan. 

San Diego, California
The best of both worlds: beautiful beaches and urban excitement! During the day, you can explore Balboa Park (which boasts the San Diego Zoo plus several museums and gardens), get up close and personal with undersea life at Sea World, or ride a rollercoaster at Legoland—when you’re not enjoying sand and surf, of course! At night, hit the Gaslamp Disctrict, which features over 40 nightclubs and bars.  San Diego nightlife will surely ease the pain of being separated from Necto and all your other Ann Arbor standbys.

Salem, Massachusetts
Obviously not the most conventional place for a weekend getaway, but it’s a cute town and there are a ton of attractions! Head to the House of the Seven Gables (yes, the one Nathanial Hawthorne wrote about!) if you’re a reader, or check out “Folkways” to experience life in a Puritan village. Want to learn more about the infamous witch trials? Go to the Salem Witch Museum or attend a performance of “Cry Innocent,” a re-enactment of a witch trial in which the audience is the jury. Top off all the excitement with some cheesy witch-themed souvenirs. A fun and quirky place to spend the weekend!

Memphis, Tennessee
A great city with some great history.  Two obvious must-visits for anyone even remotely interested in pop culture would be Sun Studios and Graceland; the former is where Elvis recorded his first record, the latter where he spent much of his adult life.  You can’t go wrong with the King! When you’re done getting your Elvis fix, go to Beale Street–one of America’s premier nightlife destinations.  If you’re a sports fan, top off your visit with a day at the ballpark cheering on Memphis’s minor league baseball team: The Redbirds. 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.