Being a college student living on campus, you quickly realize that you don’t have a lot of free time. You’re either running to class, to a meeting or attempting to start the homework that has piled up on your desk from the last two weeks. Sometimes it is important to take a second and reflect on what it is you’re doing. We’re so busy that we never have anytime set aside for ourselves. It might sound silly, but spending some time with yourself might help you clear your mind and come back to your work with a fresh perspective. A lot of times treating yourself to a fun day is exactly what the doctor ordered! When you work so hard, a little break is more than deserved.
There are several different ways you can treat yourself. Since we all enjoy different things, we all would define the word “relaxing” differently. When thinking of the best way to relax, think about what your interests are. Here is a list of five different kinds of relaxation days. Each day is tailored to your specific likes and dislikes. Go ahead and find the one that most fits your personality!
1. Spa Day: No matter if someone is a guy or girl, there is no way they will resist a spa day. The spa is a wonderfully relaxing way to get rid of all the stress in your life. It can consist of incredible things like hot massages, facials, body wraps and even mud baths. Some spas also offer manicures and pedicures! After this spa filled day, you’ll come home feeling rejuvenated and energized.
2. Nature Day: Some people find joy in the outdoors; they are what we would label as “outdoorsy”. These are people who love spending time outside and being a part of nature. A nature relaxation day can include something like going for a run outside; this is an easy and convenient thing that almost anyone can do. Depending on your surroundings, another cool thing to do would be to go for a hike. Hikes can be extravagant ones in the national park or simple ones at a local city park. Another great way to relax outdoors is to simply bring your favorite book with you outside, that way you can spend some quality time with the sun
3. Retail Therapy Day: Shopping is usually a girl’s second best friend. Shopping is an awesome way to not only relax but to also spoil yourself a little! Shopping can include anything from clothing shopping and shoe shopping, all the way to electronic shopping. Buying a fresh new outfit might help you feel a bit better sitting in a boring two hour lecture the next day. Or maybe a new pair of headphones would brighten up your long walk to your advising meeting. Retail therapy can be both expensive and cheap, depending on what your taste is and how much you’re willing to spend.
4. Cultural Day: Personally, people’s cultures have always fascinated me. Being multicultural myself, I love finding out new things about different people’s religions and beliefs as well as cultures and traditions. Most campuses are filled with student groups who promote certain cultures or religions. They constantly hold student events designed to help spread awareness and knowledge of their culture. Take advantage of these events; go and learn something new you didn’t know before. If not a cultural event, check out a local museum or a local art fair. Both are places where you can learn about people’s backgrounds through artifacts, music and stories.
5. Volunteering Day: Many people feel great pleasure from doing philanthropy work. Doing good deeds for other people, makes them feel accomplished and at ease with their contribution to society. If you’re someone who feels a connection with your community, go out and find a way to get involved for the day. Help build a house, clean a neighborhood or plant some trees. The great thing about volunteering is that you can volunteer for a cause you love. If you love the automotive industry, help fix up cars. Or if you love singing, sing for the elderly at a nursing home. There are so many awesome ways you can help give back to your community and at the same time treat yourself to an awesome day.