This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Sorority rush can be intimidating to many of the girls who decide to go through it. The days can be long and exhausting — leaving many, if not all, voiceless, if they’ve managed to hold onto their voice at all. Although it certainly may be overwhelming at times, sorority rush is worth all the time and effort you put into it. It’s an easy way to make a large university like Michigan seem smaller and more manageable. It can be difficult to know what to expect, especially as a freshman going through recruitment for the first time. Here are some tips and tricks, as well as some essentials to get you through the process.

1. Be yourself

It seems so cheesy, but there’s a reason why everyone tells you this. If you aren’t being yourself during recruitment, you won’t end up in the right place for you. If you are your authentic self, you’re bound to end up where you feel most comfortable and welcomed.

2. Don’t listen to other people

This includes not reading sites like Greek Rank, as well. It really doesn’t matter which house is supposedly ranked above another. Every house has a variety of different girls who love their sorority. Don’t let the opinions of others discourage you from liking a house you felt comfortable at.

3. You don’t need to end up with your friends

In fact, it’s probably better if you don’t because that will force you to branch out and make new friends (plus, you’ll already know people in other sororities, allowing you to meet even more people). Even if it’s your best friend, you may feel differently about certain houses — and that’s okay!

4. Keep an open mind

If you ignored Tip #2  and already have some preconceptions heading into recruitment, it’s still important to keep an open mind when you are actually at the houses. The girls in the house are what matter, not gossip or their reputations. Participate fully in every conversations so you give each house an equal and fair shot.

5. Come prepared

Be sure to bring the essentials: breath mints, water (you’ll be constantly talking), paper and a pen (to write down your thoughts before the houses blur together), comfortable shoes if you choose to wear heels, mini perfume, deodorant, and anything else that will make you feel peppy and fresh even if it’s your 11th party and you just want to go to sleep.

These tips and tricks will (hopefully!) take the sting off Formal Recruitment and allow you to focus on what really matters — joining a sisterhood that makes you feel loved and welcome.

Photo courtesy of cms.bsu.edu.