This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

These days, the goal for many girls is to be as trendy as possible. That means following every fad that comes along, and sticking with it until it leaves. However, these trends like chokers, overalls, and so many more, always make their return whether people want them to or not. Another trend is coming back – fast – although it is modified from its original fame, it’s popularity is picking up speed without realization. Some might be asking, what could I be possibly describing?

The answer is the peace sign.

We all know it, we all flaunted it, we all hated it, and now we love it again.

In middle school, it was rare to find a picture without a girl (and maybe a guy) throwing up a peace sign as their signature pose (pictured below). It was a staple of the basic pre-teen looking to follow suit of all her friends on social media. Did it make sense? No. Did Everyone do it? Yes. Teen girls weren’t looking to spread peace and kindness around the world, but they were looking to get a good picture and follow the trends all their friends were starting. Even though it lasted for a while, just like all fads, it slowly started to diminish. It had its time and had to wait for its slot to slide back into our modern pop culture. If I am right, that time is now. The peace sign is not just back, it is revolutionized.

The peace sign has joined the ranks of our cultural slang. It replaces grammatical and proper phrases and turns an entire emotion into one motion. When you walk past someone and want to acknowledge them by saying hey, whatsup, and my life sucks all at once, you use the peace sign. If you’re feeling goofy or giddy, you throw the peace sign for no apparent reason except for the fact that you want someone to know how you are feeling. If you want to look cute and approachable, the answer is the peace sign. The peace sign is nothing and everything all at the same time. And it’s back!

Watch out: before you know it, you will be having flashbacks to middle school–that is, until the next one.

Photos courtesy of Teen Vogue and Lulu Weisfeld