diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to All Girls Facing Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I am sure you have already read hundreds of these types of articles. The ones that attempt to give you the “seven best ways to get over a break-up!” but no matter how many times you try them, it never works. This isn’t one of those letters. Instead, I am going to tell you the truth about a break up because sometimes just knowing someone else out there has been through the same exact thing is the motivation you need to get out of bed.

Lets just start with the obvious: break-ups blow. We all have those friends who tell you on repeat that “you’re too good for him” or “he wasn’t worth it,” and although your friends are right, we all know those words don’t help at all. Cause I don’t know about you, but when everyone around me keeps telling me I was too good for him, yet he STILL left me, kind of leaves me thinking what the hell happened? So, I’m here to give you a different kind of advice.

Don’t try to act like what you had didn’t matter. Don’t try to act like when you see him out your stomach isn’t doing somersaults. Don’t try to act like you’re so much better off without him. Cause we all know you don’t feel that way at all. In fact, all that acting only makes you feel worse because that’s your way of avoiding feeling how much it hurt that he left. Instead, take a day, or two, or, hell, even a week, and just let it all out. Cry, scream, shout, whatever works for you. I bet you’re thinking, what the hell is this girl talking about? But, don’t worry I am not crazy, cause after those few days, you need to do one simple thing: pick yourself back up. After feeling everything, you just need to tell yourself that you’re done letting him control your emotions, you’re done with him making you feel so bad. Its finally time to take back your own emotions. So, pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and realize this is good for you.

Any guy who walks away is not the one for you. As much as that realization may kill you, it’s the truth: plain and simple. So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and realize this is good for you.

Its finally time that you are able to go out at night and be fully engaged with your friends instead of being in the corner on your phone making sure he knows what you’re up too. Although, at first, you will miss those moments, that feeling will fade, I promise. So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and realize this is good for you.

And one last thing, you are worth it, you are good enough, and you are unreal. Never forget that, own that, and remember: just pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and realize this is good for you.

Images courtesy of: Pinimg and Huffington Post

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!