One Coat, Two Coats, Red Coat, Blue Coat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The sun may still be shining, but ladies, it’s cold outside. It’s time to shake the dust off of our mittens, unpack our hats and scarves, and slather on the lip balm and skin moisturizer. However, the most important part of the winter-time weather is outerwear. Every woman needs their signature jacket that keep us with the latest trends. Something to make them stand out from the sea of black and brown blobs that invade every campus located in a city where it snows. Why not wear a jacket that will help you shine and be recognizable on campus? The following five outwear trends aren’t only fashionable, but will keep you warm through the sleet, slush, and snow.

1.Keep it colorful.

Pick a bright color! I know what you’re thinking. Black goes with everything. Yes, it does go with everything. And brown is the next best option to go with your wardrobe. But when your coat is zipped up to your neck and goes down to your knees, no one will be able to tell what you are wearing underneath, and whether or not you match. Red, pink, orange and purple are all colors that lack when it comes to a person’s collection of outerwear, so why not spice it up, take a chance, and instead of eyeing the magenta jacket, make the purchase and enjoy.

2.Work your curves.

More and more companies have realized that women do in fact have a body shape. Winter is not an excuse to hide your beautiful body. Buying a jacket that has a belt that creates a sinched waist will give any woman that desired hour-glass figure. Here, it’s important to remember that there is not need to hide your curves under layers of clothes. 

3.Fur!

Not only is fur in style, but it will keep you extra warm during the winter months. This doesn’t mean you need to break the bank purchasing a full length mink coat, but choosing the jacket with a little bit of fur (or faux fur) on the hood, is cute and comfortable. 

4.Love the length.

It’s pretty simple. The colder it is outside, the warmer we want to be in our jackets. However, most of the coats that are sported around campus are only waist or knee length. Although these lengths may keep us warm, why not stay even warmer as well as stand out among the masses by wearing a floor or ankle length jacket? When you are walking to your 9 a.m. lecture and it’s -2 degrees outside, you will probably be happy you made this decision.

5.Take the boyfriend cardigan to a whole new level. 

Although department stores distinctly  separate clothes and outerwear for men and women, why not dare to be different? Now, I’m not saying that you need to buy a men’s coat that may not fit right in order to stand out from the crowd, but using men’s jackets for inspiration can help add a sort of sleekness and chicness to your look that a women’s outwear piece may not be able to. For women who want a look that is a little bit more masculine, something with a collar, or buttons down the front instead of a zipper, may be just for you. 

So as you begin your search for the perfect winter coat, keep these tips in mind. You never know what you may find, and you never know how amazingly confident the right coat can make you feel on the inside, when it’s nothing but freezing on the outside. Good luck!