Meet Our Executive Director of Marketing – Alison Bloch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Alison Bloch is a junior from Bryn Mawr, PA. She’s majoring in Psychology and minoring in Applied Statistics and Global Media Studies. Alison has combined her interests to pursue various leadership roles, such as serving as the Public Relations Chair for Alpha Delta Phi from Winter 2013 – Fall 2014 and serving as the newly elected Senior Vice President for Restaurants and Entertainment for the Michigan Advertising and Marketing Club. This girl exudes confidence and ambition, so it’s no surprise that she has recently begun serving as our Executive Director of Marketing! 

Her Campus: How did you get involved with HerCampus.com?

Alison Bloch: My freshman year, my sorority had a club fair where we heard about all of the organizations on campus that my sisters were involved in, and Her Campus seemed like a fun club that combined my interest in marketing and event planning with my love of fashion, makeup, and going to school at Michigan!

HC: Can you tell me a little more about what you do as the Executive Director of Marketing at Michigan?

AB: I manage the Her Campus Marketing team of 15 people and market the online editorial through our social media accounts (Follow Us on Twitter and Instagram! @HerCampusUMich). I also plan events on campus that re-enforce the purpose of Her Campus – to support the collegiette woman. An example of a recent event that I had planned was the Her Campus Take Care of Yourself Week that took place from April 13th-16th where we raised money for the University of Michigan Depression Center through events focused on de-stressing as finals approached.

HC: What is your favorite part about your HC Marketing position?

AB: My favorite part of working with Her Campus is the people I get to work with! The girls come from all different majors and groups on campus, and we have a great time getting to know each other and brainstorming!

HC: What got you interested in the marketing field?

AB: Growing up I wanted to go to med school (didn’t we all) and be a psychiatrist because I loved thinking about perception and how people process information, but through internships I quickly realized that it wasn’t for me. I became interested in marketing because of my fascination with how people process the information around them. The marketing campaigns I am involved with can help shape how people experience the world.

HC: What do you eventually hope to do career-wise?

AB: I’m working towards ending up in NYC after graduation to do some form of marketing, but I am still exploring where I will end up. I have had two great summer internships at Birchbox, which is a make-up and discovery e-commerce start-up company in NYC. I served as a Marketing Analytics Intern and Marketing Intern (you should all check out www.birchbox.com …I’m OBSESSED). This summer I will be interning at IPG Media Lab, a marketing think tank in NYC. I love start-up culture, and I want to work somewhere that breeds energy, collaboration, and exploration! 

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time, beyond the academics?

AB: I love to just hang out with my friends. Whether it’s going to a yoga class or dinner on Main Street or just snuggling and watching a movie, I’m happy to just be together! I also love going to UMich football and basketball games!

HC: What advice do you have for collegiettes who may have an interest in marketing?

AB: Join clubs and have internships! “Marketing” can mean so many different things and the only way to figure out where you fit is to try it out.