Meet Molly Schaefer: Captain of Michigan’s Swimming and Diving Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Molly SchaeferYear in school: SeniorMajor: InformaticsHometown: West Bloomfield, MIHobbies: Drawing, going for bike rides (weather permitting) and keeping up to date on the latest tech news

Her Campus: What is it like being a leader of one of Michigan’s top athletic teams? Are there additional pressures and responsibilities you face?

Molly Schaefer: It is such an incredible honor to be a leader of Michigan’s Swim and Dive team. Being a leader of this team is not just about moving my teammates forward as athletes, but helping them to realize their greatness outside of the pool as well. I am humbled every day by the exceptional athletes and students I have the privilege to lead and call my teammates. Being a leader does come with additional pressures and responsibilities. I have to constantly be on my toes to ensure that every one of my teammates is progressing and held accountable. I have to hold not only myself, but also 34 other women to the high standard that comes with being a Michigan student-athlete.  

HC: What is your biggest meet this year? Who is your biggest rival?

MS: Our biggest meets are the Big Ten Championship and NCAA Championship. Our biggest rival is hands-down Ohio State. The kind of excitement I have experienced at this meet in years past is unparalleled. This year’s meet is at home, so it will be even more fun to take them on in our own territory. (PS: The Michigan v. Ohio State meet is scheduled for Saturday, January 24 if you want to go out and show your support!)

HC: What does the typical diet look like for a college swimmer?

MS: We love food, plain and simple. It is hard to say what the “typical” diet is because we are all very different. We have an awesome nutritionist who helps give us guidelines, but our meals can look very different from swimmer to swimmer.

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration?

MS: I am incredibly inspired by my coach, Danielle Tansel. She is one of the strongest women I know and pushes us to be better everyday. She is a key component of this team’s success because she cares deeply for us and wants us to be the best we can be.

HC: Do you have a go-to pump-up song before you race?

MS: I actually don’t have one. It’s been a long time since I have listened to music at a swim meet. Here at Michigan, I get to listen to the cheers of my teammates and “Go Blue” echoing all around the pool deck and in the stands… That’s what pumps me up.

HC: Is the Michigan Swim and Dive team friends with any of the other athletic teams on campus?

MS: All of the athletic teams support and care for each other. I wouldn’t say we are close with any one other athletic team, but with other athletes as a whole. Being a Michigan student-athlete means we get to spend time with other student-athletes at the shared academic center, during community service hours, and at other events. It’s fun being friends with other athletes because even if you don’t play the same sport, we all share a common purpose: to be the best we can be for Michigan.

HC: Is there anything else you want to tell us about your time as captain?

MS: Every day is a learning experience. You never know quite what to expect, but that is what can be exciting about it. Tackling the unknown is a little less scary when I have such great teammates that share a common goal. They are the type of women you want to have at your side going into any battle. They are what make the tough days worth it. I am so fortunate to be able to lead this team, and I can’t wait to see what this season has in store for us!

A huge thank you to Molly Schaefer for letting us sit down with her for this interview! To view a complete meet schedule for the Women’s Swim and Dive team this season, click here.