Julia Liss, Editor in Chief of Spoon University Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Julia Liss is a food-loving junior from Livingston, New Jersey.  She’s majoring in Communications with a minor in Writing. Julia enjoys bartending for her family and trying new foods, so it’s no surprise she’s the Editor in Chief of Spoon University.

Her Campus:  What is your favorite food?

Julia Liss:  I really like French macaroons, fried rice, Japanese food, and Italian food.

HC:  What is your favorite restaurant in Ann Arbor? 

JL:  Sava’s Sunday brunch buffet is a big favorite of mine. I also really like Mani Osteria; I love their pastas and their pizzas. And No Thai.

HC: What’re some things you are involved in on campus besides Spoon University?

JL: I am a member of the Chi Omega sorority and I write for the Michigan Daily. Last year I was a marketing intern for myfab5, which is the startup that uses Instagram to promote different restaurants in different towns. This year I am working as a brand ambassador for Uber.

HC: How did you get involved in Spoon University?

JL: I saw an advertisement last year when they were having their launch party at World of Beer. I thought it sounded interesting, so I made my friend go with me. I loved the idea of writing about food because that combines my love of writing and my love of food. I really enjoyed doing it, so I applied for a leadership position for this year and I am now the Editor in Chief. I also worked for them in the city this summer, so I got really close with the CEOs and fell in love with the company.

HC:  What is your favorite part about Spoon University?

JL:  I love how close I feel I’ve gotten with the other members of the Spoon community. It’s something I can bond with people about. Like they will say, ‘Oh, I write for Spoon at my school!’ It’s just such a fun company, the tone is really fun. For example, during the workday [this summer] I’d get to leave work and go try ice cream as a work activity. I think that kind of lightheartedness in a company makes it fun to be a part of.

HC:  What do you do as the editor in chief of Spoon University?

JL:  Right now I am going through the recruitment process for Spoon. I had all my members reapply so I could make sure they all still wanted to be involved and I’m in the process of trying to recruit new members for this year. I’m also going to be leading the weekly meetings along with the two business directors. My day-to-day responsibilities are basically making sure that everyone is meeting deadlines. I have to read and edit everybody’s articles to make sure they are perfect and then schedule the articles for posting. Because the year hasn’t really started yet, I’m currently writing a lot of articles so there is new content on our site for the new year.

HC:  How do you think Spoon University and your time as the Editor in Chief will help you after graduation?

JL:  It certainly gives me something great to have on my resume, but more importantly it has really developed my leadership abilities. This is my first major leadership role. I’m learning how to be the one in charge. I’ve never had to lead a meeting or organize a table for Festifall before. Being able to take initiative, organize things, be in charge of other people, be the one who everybody else goes to with their questions on top of everything I do day to day has been a great skill I’ve been learning as Editor in Chief.  

Jaclyn Nagel is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior studying English and Creative Writing and earning a certificate in Sales. She enjoys eating copious amounts of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and reading the Harry Potter books over and over again. Follow her on instagram as @manisandmojitos! And make sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram at @hercampusumich!