This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

When I was younger, my sister, Alison, and I would always fight. It was never over anything important – always about trivial things like TV time, sharing clothes, and even who got to sleep with the new puppy that night. We would yell and cry and upset one another, but eventually we would realize how dumb the fight truly was and would apologize to each other.

One week in high school, I made it a goal of mine to give someone a compliment everyday. Not a simple “I like your shoes” compliment, but something special – something that truly resonated with them on a deeper level. I wanted that person to go home and remember what I said to them, hoping that one small comment would brighten their day one way or another.

This summer, my best friend and I were tubing down the Huron River when we crashed into a fallen tree and were pulled under by the quick current. After what felt like a lifetime, I finally pulled myself to the surface and saw my friend crying and screaming for help. Together we made it out of the water and sat on the side of the river, crying not only about how terrifying the experience was, but also about how happy we were that we were both alive and how lucky we were to have each other as friends.

You might be wondering what all these things have in common, but in my mind, they’re linked by a simple thread: sincerity. When I apologized to my sister countless times, I did so with sincerity. When I complimented my classmates in high school, I did so with sincerity. And when I told my friend how much I appreciated her and valued her friendship, I did so with sincerity. Being sincere means being genuine, trustworthy, and honest. It’s being the most basic and most vulnerable form of yourself and allowing that side of you to be presented to the ones you love. If you can’t be sincere in your life, then you can’t truly appreciate the relationships around you.

So learn the importance of sincerity, learn how your emotions and genuineness affect your relationships, and learn how to better your own life by bettering those around you. 

Images courtesy of becomingconscious.com