I Don’t Know If I’m Celebrating Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

February 14th. The day infamously known as Valentine’s Day. Most years I never minded the holiday. Some years, Valentine’s Day was so irrelevant I didn’t even know it happened. Other years, it was a meaningful day for my significant other and I. However, this year, it is causing me much more distress than I expected, and here’s why:

About a month ago, I met *Joe at a bar. We hit it off and simply exchanged numbers at the end of the night. After that night, we began talking… A LOT. A week later, he invited me to go to the movies with him. At this time, I was personally in a weird place. Before having met Joe, I had decided to focus more on myself and school. I was very open with Joe, and told him that I was not looking for anything casual and was more interested in being friends first and foremost. He was also very open with me and shared that he was actually on a break with his girlfriend and was not sure what he was looking for. However, the more we talked, the more we both realized how much we really liked each other. We agreed that it was worth trying out going on a date. The date went really well and we began hanging out some more. It has been about three weeks now that we have been hanging out and talking, and here I am, in a weird in-between facing a confusing question:

Will I be celebrating Valentine’s Day?

Here are a few possibilities that I have come up with for how my Valentine’s Day could go: Joe could just not say anything to me at all. Pretending like it is any other day. With this option, I would personally be a little disappointed that he did not acknowledge the holiday, however I would prefer this to him completely ignoring me on Valentine’s Day.

Option number two is that he goes all out. He surprises me with flowers and a thoughtfully planned date. I would also need to be prepared too, opening up a whole new issue: What do I even get him for V-Day? I’m not expecting this one at all. This would be a huge step in our relationship. Almost too big of a step. But not going to lie, this option would be amazing nonetheless.

The third option is Joe could just text me “Happy Valentine’s Day” and we carry on with our lives, maybe even hanging out casually later in the day. I feel like this would be the best and most plausible outcome. It would be safe option, yet meaningful at the same time.

Overall, Valentine’s Day this year is not what I expected it to be at all. It will be serving as a sort of test to our relationship, and maybe a good excuse to finally DTR. If you are at all in the same boat as me, I recommend not freaking out, and just letting Tuesday happen. If you’re brave enough and a little more sure about your relationship, maybe even wish them “Happy Valentine’s Day” first. Even if it doesn’t turn out how you expect it to, make the most of your V-Day!

*Joe is pseudonym.

Photos courtesy of giphy and Every Day with Emily