HAIL-ey Isaacs is Bringing Back the Wolverine with GuloWolv Designs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Despite the fact that the University of Michigan student body cheers on the Wolverines any chance we get, many of us don’t really know what an actual wolverine even is (myself included). Sophomore Hailey Isaacs is looking to change that through her awesome design project, GuloWolv.

Since she was 12, Isaacs knew she want to go to Michigan and became interested in learning more about wolverines .

“It kinda looks like a bear and kinda looks like a racoon,” said Isaacs. “I’m working on making it more recognizable right now. Hopefully the university will pick it up, fingers crossed.”

After researching the the facial structure of a wolverine, Isaacs created funky designs of the wolverine head, some of which feature an “M” in the middle of the face to make it more university-oriented. Since then, she’s created more designs including a cool full-body wolverine and a wolverine sporting a crown.

Isaacs says the name for this project, GuloWolv, stems from her research on the wolverine.

“Gulo gulo is the scientific name of the wolverine,” explained Isaacs. “It mean glutton. Wolv is obviously half of ‘wolverine,’ so I thought to combine them.”

As far as spreading awareness of the project, you might have seen Isaacs promoting her designs at a tailgate and not even realized it was her. That’s because she’s hidden under a giant wolverine head she made from a helmet, newspaper, felt and paint!

“I’m not that social and party-going, so at first I didn’t know how to get the word out about my designs,” said Isaacs. “Me being an artist, I took my brother’s baseball helmet and built a wolverine head around it. It’s pretty creepy. I’d never made anything like it before.”

Isaacs and her friends will tailgate hop while she’s wearing the head and claws, and she gives out stickers of her designs to anyone who approaches her. Be sure to check out GuloWolv’s gallery of designs and gameday pics, order an awesome t shirt with one of her designs, and tweet her to find out how you can get your hands on one of her stickers!

All images courtesy of Hailey Isaacs

Rebecca Lawson is the Managing Editor (former Editor in Chief) of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior in the University of Michigan School of Information's new Bachelor of Science in Information program, and is also pursuing Michigan's Program in Entrepreneurship certificate. After graduation, she will be working as an Associate Consultant for Microsoft in the Seattle area. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @abovethelawson! And be sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram @hercampusumich!