Future Campus Celeb, Shane Morris!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I don’t know what I was expecting when I met up with Shane Morris, University of Michigan’s quarterback recruit for Fall 2013, but another football player was definitely not on the list. Lucky me—I got two for the price of one! Morris, a senior at De La Salle Collegiate High School, signed with University of Michigan’s football team back in February, and he’s been all the talk on campus ever since. With Morris was friend and teammate Jack Wangler, son of John Wangler, who played for the University of Michigan from 1976-81. Wangler also signed with U of M. They met up with me after football practice, both decked out in Michigan gear, of course.

Despite being out for a large majority of his senior season (mono–ouch), Morris still captured the attention of the University of Michigan, as well as other great schools, including Alabama, Auburn, Bowling Green, and others. Michigan won, however, and Morris signed WITH THE GREATEST UNIVERSITY EVER.

I’d been an odd mixture of nervous and excited all week to meet up with Morris, but he and Wangler were so easy going and fun, they made the interview a breeze. I asked Morris a lot of questions about the upcoming season, school year, and what he looks for in a girl (for our readers, of course…). Here’s what he had to say!

Her Campus: When did you start playing football?

Jack Wangler: He came out of the womb with a football in his hand.

Shane Morris: I started when I was 7 years old. I also played soccer for seven years, but I had to quit because I liked football more. So, overall I’ve been playing for twelve years now. I got pulled up to varsity my freshman year of high school.

HC: What other sports did you play besides football and soccer?

SM: Baseball, basketball, wrestling. I only played football, basketball, and baseball in high school, though.

HC: You got a lot of offers from different colleges. What made you sign with U of M?

SM: I grew up a Michigan fan. My parents are Michigan fans. It’s also close to home, which is nice. The coaches are great, and the team seems like a family. Plus, Ann Arbor is a really cool city. It just seemed like the best choice for me.

HC: What was your response when U of M recruited you? Did you cry?

SM: Honestly, it was a dream come true! I got offered a scholarship, and I immediately called my parents. I was really happy, obviously.

HC: What are you looking forward to most about football season?

SM: I’m looking forward to working as hard as I can. Hopefully I can get some playing time. It’s a great team, and I just want to have fun and do my best.

HC: What are you looking forward to outside of football?

SM: Just the whole college life. I want the overall Michigan experience, like being on campus and being a part of other things outside of football. Michigan has a great campus and Ann Arbor is so much fun. There’s literally always something to do.

HC: What’s your intended major?

SM: Right now I’m in the School of Kinesiology, but I think I might want to switch and do sports management. I really don’t know what I want to do, besides football. Honestly, I’m just trying to figure things out.

HC: What do you do in your free time?

SM: I watch a lot of movies. My favorite is Friday Night Lights. I also listen to a lot of music. Hang out with friends. Normal stuff.

HC: I’m going to embarrass you (and myself): what do you look for in a girl?

SM: The first thing I notice about a girl is her smile. She’s gotta have a good smile. I like taller girls, too. Obviously they need to be good looking and have a good personality. She needs to be able to get along with my friends and make me laugh. Also, no stage five clingers.

Jack Wangler: She needs to be knowledgeable about football, too. At least enough to know what’s going on. 

HC: With all the hype surrounding you and your football skills, are you nervous?

SM: I’m obviously a little nervous, but I’m just determined to work hard in the weight room, learn all the plays, and get ready for it. I just want to have fun with it and do the best I can. I don’t want to get too nervous because that’s when things fall apart. I realize there’s obviously pressure on me, but I can’t focus on that. I need to focus on performing well.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m excited to see what this kid can do. Aside from being fantastic football player, he’s a really sweet guy, so if you see him around campus next year, be sure to say hi! He’s hard to miss! And if you’re a tall girl with a good sense of humor, good luck to you!

I'm a sophomore at the University of Michigan, majoring in Communications and Creative Writing. I like gifs, videos of people falling, and my cat. I don't take myself too seriously.