Four Valentine’s Day Insights from UMich Campus Cuties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s that time of year again – and love is in the air! We asked four taken hotties how they plan to surprise their girlfriends on Valentine’s Day, and their answers might amaze, delight, and (sigh) disappoint you. Here’s what you – and maybe your guy (hint, hint) – can learn from their responses and ideas.

“I don’t have much cash this year, so I want to take her somewhere that’s not too expensive. There are actually a lot of restaurants in Ann Arbor that are good but still pretty cheap. I’m taking her to Palio on Valentine’s Day night.” – Brandon

While dinner can be pricey, there are plenty of Ann Arbor eateries that won’t break the bank. Try Jerusalem Garden on Fifth Avenue, or Sabor Latino on Main, or look up places on Urbanspoon that have one “$” sign – there are lots of options! Alternatively, suggest to your guy that you go out for breakfast or just dessert on the big day – you’ll save money but still have a great food date! Or, if your wallets are really empty, try this guy’s advice…

“One of the most fun dates I’ve ever had with my girlfriend was going to the grocery store. It sounds weird, but we get to run an errand and spend time together. On Valentine’s Day, I’ll get her to pick out the food she likes, and then go home and cook her dinner.” – Jason

Aww, a gift that’s both inexpensive and sweet. We’re in! Cooking a meal together is a great bonding experience, and it’s surprisingly hot to see your boyfriend break out the oven mitts.

“I’m a music major, so I usually try to do something musical and romantic for my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, like writing a song. It sounds corny, but I think she appreciates it.” – Derek

We’re sure she does appreciate it! How can a girl not swoon at her own song? Even if you’re not musical, everyone has a special talent. Pen a poem, sing a song, or craft your own Valentine’s Day card for your sweetheart. Agreeing to make instead of buy gifts for each other is a great way to make the holiday especially romantic and personal – and cheap!

“Honestly, I think Valentine’s Day is overrated. It was made up just to get people to spend money. I’ll get her a card because I know she expects it, but I don’t go overboard.” – Chris

Ugh. If this sounds anything like your boyfriend, it might be time to find a new one. Guys can be so clueless. Sigh.