Emily Gleichert ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Meet Emily Gleichert, a spirited junior here at the University of Michigan. She’s an Ohio native with a big heart and a lot of love for our good ole’ University of Michigan.

HC: What are you studying and Why?

EG: I am studying anthropology with a minor in Environmental Studies. I am very interested in different cultures and the ways in which we interact with each other and our environment.

HC: What extra curriculars are you involved in?

EG: I am involved in Camp Kesem, a camp for kids whose parents have been affected by cancer and I am also a Forever Go Blue Student Ambassador in the University office of development.

HC: Those both sound great! I’m pretty familiar with Camp Kesem but could you tell me a little bit more about Forever Go Blue?

EG: Forever Go Blue is a student organization that promotes and supports student philanthropy across campus. So my job in the organization is in education and raising awareness about how philanthropy impacts every student’s every day experience at the university.

HC: Why do you think this work is important?

EG: I think that we go to an amazing school and a lot of times unless a student is here on scholarship it is hard to know how philanthropy has impacted our experiences. Donors to the university provide the opportunities that state funding cant and that makes the University of Michigan one of the best school’s to go to.  So it’s really important for everyone to recognize the opportunities that they’ve been given here at Michigan through philanthropy.

HC: Do you think this work will help you in the future? How so?

EG: Yes, working in the office of development entails working events and working on a team and ideally the goal is to raise funds for our own scholarship. Eventually this work will help me to become a leader in the workplace and in becoming comfortable with interactions in the professional world.

HC: Besides school, Camp Kesem and the work you do with Forever Go Blue, what are some other things you like to do in your free time?

EG: I like to travel a lot and this past year I did Alternative Spring Break, The New English Literature Program (NELP) and went to Kenya for a GCC program but I also really enjoy reading and writing and journaling and watching the Mindy Project”

HC: What moment did you realize UofM was the best university for you?

EG: During orientation when EMT performed hail to the victors and everyone in the audience was participating and singing along. I had never seen that before because I’m not from Michigan but to see everyone have so much pride in our school was really exciting and made me love the university from that moment on.