This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Have you ever watched the celebrated, high-energy dance show, So You Think You Can Dance? Shopped at the world-renowned clothing store, BCBG? Danced in front of a crowd of people who have come specifically to watch you in your element? Well, a very special Campus Celebrity here at the University of Michigan can boast some extremely unique personal connections to all of these things. Ellen Holme is a junior who had a life changing summer in New York City, where she truly got to live out her dreams. In the city that never sleeps, Ellen was dancing, working and making long-lasting connections that will continue to benefit her for years to come. Let’s learn a little bit more about this campus celeb, and what made her summer in NYC so special.

1. What exactly are you studying here at Michigan, and what made you decide to pursue this track?

I am double majoring in dance and communications, so I take classes in the School of Literature, Science and the Arts as well as the School of Music, Theater and Dance. I decided to pursue this track because while dance is my first love, I wanted to be able to explore the other academic areas that Michigan has to offer. I am lucky that I have been able to make both majors work, and am excited for the opportunities that this dual major will afford me.

2. Wow, that is very impressive that you are able to juggle both majors. I am also a communications major, so I’m familiar with what that entails. I am curious about the dance program, however. Can you tell me a bit more about your dancing past and how the program here at Michigan has helped you grow as a dancer?

Well, quite honestly, I’ve been dancing since I came out of the womb. I started dancing competitively at age 7 and I must say, the show Dance Moms on Lifetime is the most true and accurate reality show on television. My specialties are modern and ballet, but I’m open to taking all different types of classes, which is why the dance program here is so great. My dancing as a whole has really improved since coming to U of M, and I have gotten to work with world-renowned choreographers who have challenged me to experiment with new types of dance.

3. Throughout your life, what has been has been your favorite performance thus far?

That’s a tough question. But, if I had to pick one, I’d have to say my favorite was a performance I did in Chicago during my senior year of high school, which I like to call my “prime year.” It was a ballet competition, and dancers from all around the world came to compete. It was just very cool to see how my dance was different from theirs, and it was a privilege to compete against such talented people.

4. Rumor has it you had quite the experience with a dance company this summer in New York City. Can you tell me a little bit more about that?

I’d love to.  I was an intern for Parson’s Dance Company, which allowed me to see a completely new side of the dance world. Instead of doing the dancing and being the one on the stage, I was behind the scenes and got to see all of the inner-workings of the company. My responsibilities included: figuring out the dancers and performance schedules, helping to coordinate tour dates, writing grants, managing the transportation and care of the costumes and meeting the dancers, of course. But, I’d say the best part about my internship was really getting a feel for the lifestyle of a dancer in New York City, seeing as that is what I eventually want to do. Also, I got to take dance classes for free!

5. That does sounds like quite the internship! What else did you do to pass the time while spending the summer in NYC?

I actually had another job. Since my internship with Parson’s was unpaid, I had to find a way to make money in such an expensive city. So, I decided to apply for a job at one of my favorite clothing stores, BCBG. Since I have never worked in retail, I was pretty much going out on a limb by applying to such a well-known and upscale brand. When I got the job, I could not have been more excited! The great discount didn’t hurt either J

6. I think many of our readers are very jealous of you right about now. What was it like working there?

The store I worked at was located right on 5th Avenue, the heart of New York City. So, I got to really experience the culture and hustle and bustle atmosphere. The store was constantly busy, and we always had to be on our A-game because you could never be sure who was going to stroll in at any time. My shifts were long and I had to wear my highest heels the whole time, but it was totally worth it. Many foreign tourists came into the store, so I had to find ways to easily communicate with them to find out exactly what they were looking for, which was a challenge but a skill that will benefit me in the future. One of my favorite parts about working at BCBG was looking at a costumer, and knowing exactly what would look good on them and being able to dress people to look their best. I was surprised at how easily I picked up on looking at a costumer and immediately knowing what size they were and what colors would suit them. There was nothing better than seeing a smiling costumer walk out the door with her new purchases; our goal was to make every woman feel her most beautiful!

7. What were some of your most memorable sales?

I have to say, there were numerous times when I was completely awe-struck at who would walk into the store. I didn’t realize when I took the job that I would be meeting some extremely famous and glamorous women. I actually sold a gorgeous champagne colored chiffon evening gown to Cindy Crawford, who was absolutely stunning in person, as you can imagine. She was so sweet, and I was truly at a loss for words when she came out of the dressing room in her gown! I had to sit down and let it sink in that I sold a dress to a world-famous supermodel when she left the store. Another very cool experience I had was when the esteemed choreographer and judge from the TV show, So You Think You Can Dance, Mandy Moore came into BCBG. As you know, I am a dancer and watch SYTYCD RELGIOUSLY, so I thought I was going to faint when she walked in.

8. So you actually met one of your idols! That is amazing. Can you tell me a little bit more about your interaction with Mandy Moore? I know many of our readers are huge So you Think You Can Dance fans.

I’m sure SYTYCD has many fans! It is one of the best shows on television. Mandy Moore came into BCBG looking for a dress to wear for an upcoming episode of the show, and she was also hoping to find a dress to wear to the Emmy’s. I was fortunate enough to be working on the dress floor when she came in. I recognized her right away and we got to talking about the amazing work she does on the show, and the fact that I was a dancer myself. I knew her style very well from watching endless videos of her choreography, and I got a good sense of her personality from watching SYTYCD. So, I had a specific dress in mind that I thought she would like and I went into the back room of BCBG to get it for her. It turned out that Mandy Moore loved the dress and she ended up purchasing it to wear for her upcoming events.

9. Did Mandy Moore give you any words of wisdom about pursuing dance?

Actually, she gave me more than words of wisdom. After dressing her and after she viewed some clips of me dancing on YouTube, Mandy Moore invited me to participate in her Contemporary Dance Intensive Workshop that she was running for one week at an NYC dance studio. I cannot even express to you how incredible this experience was for me.  Mandy Moore is such an influential and well-rounded choreographer, and I learned so much from her in just one week of instruction. The other dancers who participated were all so very talented, and it was such an honor to have been included in such a prestigious workshop. Mandy Moore is one of my idols, and she has been a staple in the dance world for years. I hope someday to have a similar career path as her, and working with her this summer was an experience I will never forget.

10. What is your dream job?

Well, in 5 years I hope to be dancing for a company in either New York or California. I haven’t decided which coast I want to be on just yet! But, I think I will definitely be heading back to NYC next summer, after this past summer there was completely life changing.

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.