This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Michigan game days seem to have adopted a fashion of their own, uniquely spirited yet on trend. I began my 2017 game day outfit planning over the summer, quickly realizing that the bodysuit, cheer skirt, socks, and lace-up tee I wanted to buy were going to put me well over my budget. Inspired to find a way to look cute without spending hundreds of dollars, I got creative and designed my own DIY lace-up shirt. Here is my easy step-by-step guide!

Materials

• T-shirt (one with large lettering/writing will work best)
  •  Black fabric trim (I used Wrights 1.875 in bias tape)
  • Needle/black thread (sewing machine works best but you can also hand sew)
  • Sewing Pins

• 1/4 inch eyelets with applicator tool

• Black string or leather cord

1. Outline and cut a triangle as deep as you’d like the shirt opening to be. I left a strip of fabric across

the top, but you could cut the collar off it you prefer.

2. Cut two pieces of black trim to line the cut portion. Fold the trim over the fabric and pin it down. This 

will make it easier to sew.

3. Sew the outer edge of the black trim to the top layer of the t-shirt. This takes a long time when done by hand, so I borrowed a sewing machine that my friend bought on Amazon for $22. Not a bad thing to own if you are considering experimenting with more DIY clothing in the future!

4. Cut all stray threads and mark where you want the holes to be along the black trim. I recommend 6-8 holes on each side. A ruler was very helpful for this step. Then punch the holes using the 1/4 inch setting on the eyelet pliers (I used Dritz eyelet pliers, $15), and apply the metal eyelets following the instructions on the package.  

5. Lace up the shirt using black string or leather cord. I left the strings hanging down, but you could also knot them on the inside if you prefer. Wear with pride! Go Blue :)

Images courtesy of: Meryl Rueppel 

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!