This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This week, Her Campus was able to chat with Brynn Buonocore, a social media-savvy sophomore at UMich and an Express clothing brand representative. Brynn is a Communication Studies major pursing the Cappo Sales Track, and hails from Philadelphia. A bubbly and charismatic lover of fashion, Brynn shares what it’s like to “brand” yourself for a company and how career opportunities can come out of everyday habits.

Her Campus: What organizations are you involved with on campus?

Brynn Buonocore: On campus, I’m currently a SAPAC volunteer, a Panhellenic Peer Educator, a member of the LSA Climate Committee, where I focus most of my efforts through my work with the Inclusive Pedagogies Committee. I’m also a member of MStars, a student organization that hosts events to raise funds for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

HC: What is it like being an Express brand representative?

BB: I became an Express Brand Rep this winter, and I’ve absolutely love it! Because I’m looking to go into marketing and advertising professionally, this opportunity is giving me great insight into the responsibilities as well as power and influence of someone working in PR. As a brand rep, it’s my job to promote Express across Michigan’s campus, both in person and via social media; each semester we host a series of events (like our most recent “Boxers and Bralettes”) and we’re also responsible for keeping up with multiple social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter, all of which we use to promote Express. What I love about my job is that it’s so natural – I love the brand and I love being connected with the public, so it’s easy for me to post a picture of myself or with friends while supporting the brand because I would do it anyway. My routine hasn’t changed, and neither have I; I love it because I can do work that I love while still being myself. Being genuine is huge for me. 

HC: What advice would you offer to your peers who may want to pursue a brand rep opportunity?

BB: For anyone who’s interested in this work, my best advice is to stay active on social media, especially the most popular platforms! When I applied for this job, the hiring committee looked at my involvement across several mediums, so it’s important to be able to show employers that you’re capable of reaching a broad audience. I also think it’s really important to create an online presence (essentially “brand” yourself) – everyone has their own style, and if you can clearly and creatively express that on your social media you’ll really stand out when applying for similar positions. Again, it’s all about being genuine. 

HC: How would you describe your style?

BB: I always laugh when people ask me what my style is because I’m never exactly sure how to describe it. My friends have called it “grunge chic” or “street-style,” but to be honest I have no idea what to call it. I wear black A LOT, especially because it’s so easy to pair with things. As a result, most of my wardrobe consists of neutrals (black, white, beige, grey), but I have a variety of textures – I love, love, love denim and leather right now, and anything with a cool fabric design (think cross-front shirts) is very me, so that’s mostly what I look for when shopping.

HC: What will you be wearing on Valentine’s Day?

BB: This Valentine’s Day I’m planning to take my best friend out to dinner to celebrate a different form of love (hopefully her boyfriend doesn’t mind) so I’ll probably wear something that’s a mix of dressy and casual – right now I’m thinking suede knee-high black boots paired with a black turtleneck sleeveless dress and either a destroyed oversized denim jacket or a beige wool vest.

Be sure to sign up online at express.com to get access to tons of discounts! You can also follow @express on Instagram or @brynnbuono to get some fashion inspiration.

I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan hoping to major in Communication Studies and English. My mission in life is to be so busy doing the things I love that I have no time for hate, regret, worry, or fear.