Best Makeup Products for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Makeup is something that is found to be easy by some, and like a science to others. It is something of an art in my eyes. I have been fairly passionate about the subject for quite some time, and am looking to join the business side of the beauty industry when I graduate. Over time, multiple people have asked me for suggestions on how to get started with makeup and what the best products are to buy. I thought that I would lay out the types of products to get started, and then some suggestions of specific brands that I have personally used and loved!

1. Primer 

Primer is a product that is absolutely essential, and often overlooked. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me why their makeup never lasted more than an hour, I would be rich. This incredible product is one that will keep your makeup on all day long and will leave your skin looking stunning!

Personal favorites: 

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water ($32) 

Too Faced Hangover Primer ($32) 

Becca Backlight Filter Primer ($38) 

2. Foundation 

I always say that there are certain makeup products that are worth spending a fair amount of money on, and ones that can be bought at the drugstore. In my personal opinion, if you are going to drop money on one product, it should be foundation. I think that something people often forget is that this is a product that is going directly on your skin, and therefore should not be too cheap. That does not mean that I never wear drugstore foundation, but for the sake of the health of my skin and any acne that may come up, I prefer to use a little bit of a higher end product. Top it off with either a powder foundation or a translucent powder to keep your makeup on longer and to avoid an oily complexion!

Personal Favorites (Liquid):

Personal Favorites (Powders):

3. Mascara 

Mascara is one of those products that I don’t feel is necessary to buy high end. At the end of the day, the drugstore will always have different type of bristles, and ones that can be dupes for well-loved high-end products. That’s not to say that I have never splurged on a high-end mascara, but I find that they don’t last as long and can cost up to 3 times as much.

Personal Favorites:

4. Liquid Eyeliner 

Ok, I know what you’re thinking: what about normal waterline eyeliner? Well, step aside plain old eyeliner because liquid eyeliner is making its way to the top! Yes, it is something that needs to be practiced. No, it will not look even every time. No, you don’t need to wing it every time you wear it! But, it will enhance your natural eye shape and give you a little more pizzazz to your look! Some may be easier to use than others, though that is based on personal preference.

Personal Favorites:

5. Bronzer

I get it, the concept of contouring is scary for many people who are just getting started with makeup. It took me a long time to get comfortable contouring, but leading up to it I always used bronzer. Bronzer does wonders for shaping and slimming your face, as well as enhancing your natural bone structure!

Personal Favorites:

6. Eyebrow Product 

As someone who has fairly sparse eyebrows, I find filling in my eyebrows (preferably very lightly) makes all the difference. If you shape them correctly, they can enhance your facial features even more. This is not necessarily a must-have product in everyone’s lives, but I don’t know where I would be without it!

Personal Favorites:

7. Highlighter 

Much like fashion, makeup has trends as well. Over the past few years, every single makeup brand has come out with a highlighter. They are the glow for your face that you never knew you needed! This is perhaps more of an add-on product than a beginner’s necessity. However, I think that it will make your makeup pop and you will fool everyone into thinking you’re a pro makeup artist!

Personal Favorites:

At the end of the day, whether or not you choose to wear makeup is entirely up to you. Additionally, the extent to what you wear and the products you buy are all up to you as well! These are just a few suggestions that have worked well for others and would be fitting for a beginner!

Images courtesy of Chloe Wallach, Ulta, Too Faced, Allure 

I am currently a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in communication studies
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!